Connecting a generator, inverter, batteries, and solar panel/mppt controller

Options
jtyooper
jtyooper Registered Users Posts: 3
I have been working with various components for awhile, and now want to connect a bunch together.  I have a 100 watt solar panel, a mppt controller, a Zantrex inverter,  200 ah battery setup, and a i2000 honda generator.  I think I understand how to connect things together, but am concerned about feedback to my mppt controller when using the generator to charge the batteries after a day of poor light.  I have the inverter/generator connected directly to the batteries, and also have the battery connected to the inverter., both in accordance with their respective owner manuals.  Is there some item I can put in the line from the battery to the mppt controller to prevent feedback from the generator?  Should I just put in a switch to disconnect the mppt controller when running the generator?  Or am I concerned about nothing?  Can't seem to find a solution to this particular issue anywhere.  Thanks for help.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When you connect the generator to charge batteries, how do you get the DC into the batteries?  Generators produce 120VAC.
    Are you using a battery charger or does your inverter have a integral battery charger?  Regardless, you leave the MPPT Solar charger connected to the battery all the time, and 2nd source charging "just happens"   When you jump start a car, you don't disconnect the alternator wire.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Is your genset a Honda eu2000i type genset?

If so, it does have a ~8 amp @ 12 VDC output for charging batteries (~96 watts)... However, that is really not useful for charging larger deep cycle batteries. The 12 VDC output only "works" when the genset is at full speed (ECO throttle off). So, it is not very fuel efficient.

The typical solution is to get a compatible 120 VAC to 12 VDC battery charger that can be as high as 40 amps @ 12 VDC (or sometimes even more, depends on exact model of battery charger, and the needs of your battery bank). That is ~480 Watts of charging energy.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jtyooper
    Options
    Inverter has charger built-in.  Concern is "backfeeding" the mppt controller with voltage from generator  through the inverter/charger and overloading it, since both the inverter/charger and the mppt controller are connected to the batteries separately. but on the same battery posts.  I agree with the alternator idea, but the alternator is not an electronic controller either.

I do have the Honda eu2000i genset.  With the inverter/charger setup, there is no need for another type of charger.  The generator, when connected to the inverter, provides ac current for the inverter/charger to charge the batteries.  Concern is backfeeding the controller as described above.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi jtyooper,  welcome to the Forum.

You do not need to worry about charging the battery from the Inverter/charger,  AND the MPPT CC.

Multiple charge sources for battery systems are very common.

We know little of most of the details of your system.

You might have times when there might be excessive charging current flowing into the batteries,   some batteries are more sensitive to this than are others.

What make and model number is/are your battery/ies?
    What is the system voltage - guess that this is a 12 V system due to having one 100 W PV
    What is the model number of the Xantrex inverter?

If you could add a Signature,  so that every Post that you make will add this important detail,  and save you time with repetitive questions.

Thanks, VIc

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • jtyooper
    Options
    Thanks for signature tip. My system is at my camp which is about 300 miles away and buried in the snow in Michigan Upper Peninsula. Will add these details when I can get them.