A truly effective ice scraper for solar panels?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
Finally found one. Normally used to scrape off drywall texture or paint.....it is an 8" one sided thick razor blade that fits in an extendible round handle. Ice will dull the blade over time. You may want about 50 or so....

Another note.....east and west facing panels just never get warm enough to shed snow and ice in a truly cold winter environ.

December has got to be the most brutal month for solar if one regularly experiences temperatures below 0F. The shortest days. The cloudiest days. Some of the snowiest days. Even steep southern facing panels may not be capable of "self cleaning" for several days at a time. Ugh...almost wish I could hibernate until February.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My south facing arrays set at max steepness can stay snow covered for months if not cleared!
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Options
    Easy to believe. The snow is easy, it is the ice which can get pretty thick.

I wonder what angle is needed to be, more or less, self clearing.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Estragon
    Options
    My racks only go to 65deg. Would have to go to pretty close to 90 to stay clear I think.

The ice and/or wet sticky snow is what causes the problem as it reflects whatever sun there is. I use a plastic shovel to get enough off for some sun to get through and warm up the panels. There's about a month (now) when the sun is just too low and too short to do anything though.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe there used to be a mode in the midnite solar controllers. They could take battery power and send it to the panels.  This would heat the panels and hopefully melt what is there.

Not sure if that feature still exists.  I could see it being useful for roof mounted panels that are hard to get to.
  • Estragon
    Options
    As I recall, that was a feature they considered but didn't go ahead with.

I have thought about heat tape on the back of the panels though.

Has anyone done this?
    Off-grid.  
  • DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Options
    IMO, metal or hard plastic ice scrapers are more harm than good on solar panels.  They can scratch or worse case damage the surface of the panels.  Much better to use snow push and pull devices designed to remove snow from automobiles without marring the paint surfaces of cars.

Here is a device I cobbled together from multiple snow removal devices.  You can easily replicate the device from just looking at the pic. I used a telescoping pole and sno pro units.  All readily available on the net or even at your local hardware/HD/Lowes store.

23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring
  • softdown
    Options
    ^^^Plastic can't hurt glass. If it did, all northern cars would have scratched up windows. Few things will scratch glass. I think you need to take a basic geology course. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:
    ^^^Plastic can't hurt glass. If it did, all northern cars would have scratched up windows. Few things will scratch glass. I think you need to take a basic geology course. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

Hard plastic can damage the edge seals at the edge of the glass/metal frame interface.  But if you like using metal tools on expensive glass, it's your choice
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I use a pool cleaning brush (about 16 inches across) to brush snow off panels.  Notice I said brush.  Scraping not good.  And any heavy headed tool risks a hard drop on panels quite easily (a foot slips, a hand slips and bang).  But then I have utility power available so a day without sun production won't put me in the dark.
  • softdown
    Options
    Perhaps some of you don't get 1/2" of ice with regularity.

I once had 48 150 watt solar panels with no frames at all. Not a single panel has malfunctioned due to lack of a frame. Using several right now.

If you guys like plastic, and soft plastic at that.....more power to you. It just doesn't work here,
  • solarhills99
    solarhills99 Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Options
    Take a conventional snow rake.  Cut a 3" slice of 1" foam insulation the length of the blade.  Saw a slit in the foam so it fits over the blade.  Works on most snow types but not icy frozen snow.
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I use a plastic car window scraper and brush with good results. But I don't have a gazillion panels like some here. Once the bulk f the snow has been cleared off, the panels are pretty good at melting off the remaining ice film if there is decent sun. I do this one weekend in February only.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • just starting
    just starting Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm at 10200' I get cold my batterys are at 5ºc right now. My panels get full sun at 1030am until 230pm they get over 1/2" of ice I Broom of the snow and wait 1/2 hour at a time and go sweep off the ice. It melts as the panel shorts and heats up. Some days I don't even try I run the gen go one gallon of gas however long that is.
    200ah LiFePO4 24v Electrodacus Sbms40 quad breaker chest freezer to fridge- Samlex PST 1524 - Samlex pst3024  - 1hp shallow well pump-Marey 4.3 GPM on demand waterheater - mama bear Fisher wood burning stove, 30" fridgarair oven ,fridegaire dishwasher  Unique 290l stainless D.C. Fridge-unique 120l portable fridge/freezer 
  • morpho
    morpho Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I usually find the ice that collects on the panels (If it's not freezing rain) is from the snow hitting the "warm" panels and turning to water, as evening comes, the temp drops on the panels the snow and water turns to ice. By morning I am facing a layer of ice covered with snow. Nasty.

I've found that if I go out and sweep the panels of snow and water after the sun goes down, ice doesn't form and it is easy to sweep the snow off come morning.

I've also considered canvas panels to place over the array and on occasion even a garage door on a track with an automatic door opener so I can stay inside when it's -30 outside!
    11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face