Anybody know the longevity of Bic lighters?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
Off gridders may use a ton of these for various reasons. Costco business center has a deal on 200. Yes....200. That would last for years.

People/government poke fun at "preppers". If we are buying items that *will* be used, it seems smart to stock up while the prices are good.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    I used to buy lighters for emergency gear--But the butane lighters seem to lose their fuel  (or orifice plugs up) over a couple of years of even storage (my limited experience).

And I even bought a couple of "higher end" metal propane "wind/weather proof" lighters--And they too because useless after a couple of years.

Even the cheap stove/fire place plastic lighters don't seem to last past a couple of years for me.

I ended up just buying wind proof matches for my backup supply (and some sealed match box containers for hiking/camping).

Only thing that has lasted over the years--A propane torch with a trigger (gas on/off + piezoelectric spark lighter--no batteries) such as this.

Bernzomatic TS4000KC Trigger Start Torch Kit

In my very limited experience....

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    edited September 2016 #3
    BB. said:
    I used to buy lighters for emergency gear--But the butane lighters seem to lose their fuel  (or orifice plugs up) over a couple of years of even storage (my limited experience).

And I even bought a couple of "higher end" metal propane "wind/weather proof" lighters--And they too because useless after a couple of years.

Even the cheap stove/fire place plastic lighters don't seem to last past a couple of years for me.

I ended up just buying wind proof matches for my backup supply (and some sealed match box containers for hiking/camping).

Only thing that has lasted over the years--A propane torch with a trigger (gas on/off + piezoelectric spark lighter--no batteries) such as this.

Bernzomatic TS4000KC Trigger Start Torch Kit

In my very limited experience....

-Bill
    Thanks....I had one of those. That was one of probably a hundred things that various people have stolen over the years.

Living in two places is a "license to steal" for the unscrupulous. The worst criminal by far is a relative who has always stolen anything that wasn't nailed down. Our government brilliantly decided to give him locksmith training.  Thanks to him, I cook breakfast in the 30's sometimes.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    I use different things to start or make a fire or start or make light because I do not want to get stuck with one item that may fail when it is needed.
    Matches, steelwool, 9 volt batteries, kerosene lamps,a  magnesium fire starter, magnifying glasses, candles, dry/gel fuel in cans, including those big lighters ......etc etc. Those items may be small enough to put in zip lock bags, medicine bottles, balloons etc to make them water and/or moister proof. 
    Companies make many other alternatives to flame things up, which may be good additions to add to your box.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I agree, buy things until you feel save and until you are happy.
    You always can rotate your stock with your daily things you use and then replace your stock with new things.

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Harbour freight sells orange butane self lighting torches for about $10.00. These work just great for lighting candles, fires, small soldering jobs etc. For about 2-3 years, then buy another when the ignitor craps out.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • just starting
    just starting Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    I like to buy butane by the case and little torches and lighters off eBay there empty when I get them so they don't leak over time
    200ah LiFePO4 24v Electrodacus Sbms40 quad breaker chest freezer to fridge- Samlex PST 1524 - Samlex pst3024  - 1hp shallow well pump-Marey 4.3 GPM on demand waterheater - mama bear Fisher wood burning stove, 30" fridgarair oven ,fridegaire dishwasher  Unique 290l stainless D.C. Fridge-unique 120l portable fridge/freezer 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    many disposable lighters, stored long term, have "flints" or "sparkers" that oxidize and go bad.   So if you can seal them in a baggie and keep air off the flint, they last longer.  If never used, the fuel tank should stay full..  Once you light it, and break the factory seal, leakage is possible, and it may last a year or less.  
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Old school "strike anywhere" matches, dipped in wax - stored in water tight canisters. Still have some from 30 years ago that strike perfectly today. Also keep a Firesteel kit in each car.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Old school "strike anywhere" matches, dipped in wax - stored in water tight canisters. Still have some from 30 years ago that strike perfectly today. Also keep a Firesteel kit in each car.
    Surprised that nobody seems to make wax dipped matches. A machine would be a little faster than me. Humidity will ruin matches everytime.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do make waterproof matches but just safety ones, but not strike anywhere AFAIK. Strike anywhere would be better in case the box got soggy.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    Estragon said:
    They do make waterproof matches but just safety ones, but not strike anywhere AFAIK. Strike anywhere would be better in case the box got soggy.
    Yes.....seems that way. I bought 800 waterproof ones. I have hundreds of sheets of sandpaper that will light up a match. I've seen matches go bad for unknown reasons other than the inexorable passage of time. Sandpaper seems to last.