AE MM5000

Options
wood4Yoda
wood4Yoda Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭

Hi,

My name is David and I am new here.  A little about what I am up to; installing a 1.2kw 48volt HomeBrew wind turbine I built.  Have 740w of ET solar panels I bought used (4 x 185w).  Going to start with 8-RS batteries for about 400AH.  will see how long it takes me to trash them (was told it will happen :) )  Question for today is I also recently purchased a used Advanced Energy MM5000 48volt inverter.  Probably should have did a little more homework prior.  The installer I bought it from took it in trade because the grid tie portion isn't working.  The rest was working when he took it out, and he bench tested it again for functionality. I'm fine with that as I won't be connecting to the grid with my system. 

I did learn the AE MM5000 had some overheating issues.  That AE went bankrupt, and parts bought up by Beacon Power.  BP modified the MM5000 and came up with the M5.  They were pretty strong against the design of the MM5000 that they at one point early on were even giving 1000.00 rebates to customers who owned the MM5000 towards purchase of the M5 (just what I read on a different forum) 

So does anyone have any input or advice for me on this inverter?  I probably should have bought something with more support.  I am trying to come up with an owners/users manual.  There apparently also is some software that works with windows 98 that allows you to change settings.  I read if you can lower the set-point for when the fan kicks in you can somewhat solve the over heating issue. 

Hopefully I will find some help here.  The other forums I have checked on are pretty quiet.  Might even be interested in selling this inverter if anyone is interested.  I could perhaps then purchase something that I would be able to get a little more info on.  It is a little over my head just starting out to not have a manual, and some tech support. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• wood4Yoda
    wood4Yoda Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options
    Beacon Power actually got back to me with a manual this morning.  Still any other help/advice from anyone on the MM5000 would be appreciated.
  • travis
    travis Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    I purchased three of these inverters. They were new from Old Stock. Two of them are 3000 and the other one is a 5000. I have a installation manual would show some specs for the 5000 but I don't have the spec sheet for the 3000 and I don't have the software. What type of documentation do you have and do you have the software and can I get it from you? T8085579058 yahoo.com that is also my phone number
  • travis
    travis Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    I met someone who knows the person who designed the circuitry and he's forwarding my email of questions to him for me. I have no idea if he's interested in giving support on this dinosaur. I'll post any answers I get here.

I have recently purchased three AE multimode power conversion system inverters New from Old Stock. I only have an installation manual for a 5000 and it shows most of the specs it doesn't say much about it operations. I'm curious what the specs are on the AE3000 that I have. One of them is the 5000.

I have lots of questions and I hope they don't overwhelm you.
    If there is more literature on this for me to read please connect me and refrain from answering the questions until I Read Literature and delete the questions the literature answers. If you have time just answer what you can & I thank you in advance. Maybe I should forward this to BP?

I'll be using them in off grid mode 4 the foreseeable future. I've noticed some people complain that the mppt midnight classic 150 charge controllers on sunny days when in float charge mode are slow to respond when there's a heavy load put on the inverter. So the load will work off of the batteries for up to 30 seconds before the charge controller will send the energy from the solar panels through the system. It seems unnecessary to me to drain the batteries when there's 5000 watts of PV unharvested butt available power.
    How will the AE inverters handle this situation?

How fast and how often does the AE mppt charge controller to a sweep?

How many watts is the charge controller on the 3000?

What is the voltage range on the input from solar panels on the 3000?

Will the charge controller charge the battery from PV input while the inverter is simultaneously providing AC120 power?

If the charge controller is bringing in high or max wattage from the solar panels and rapidly charging batteries will the AC output capability be adversely affected?

The 5000 manual says it's mppt technology gathers 15% more energy from the panels. How does that percentage compared with today's mppt Technologies?

Will the BP software work with the AE units? if yes will I need some kind of software key for it to work?

What are the out of the box factory set points and parameters, like what is the bulk charge and Float charge voltage settings, how often will it equalize?

Will they perform an equalization cycle off of the generator input?

How many watts of power will the 3000 and the 5000 consume while inverting with almost no AC loads?

Does an efficiency curve chart for these units exist?

Does it have a sleep mode that senses there's no need for AC power and shut down the AC output in an effort to conserve battery power?

I looked inside and saw it has some pretty heavy-duty old school Transformers. I'm thinking it might be a heavy hearty old Beast like my 30 year old car battery charger That Never Dies. What are the benefits and drawbacks of these old AE inverters?

On the 3000 inverters AC power out what is the surge specs?

What type of overload protection does it have? Only overheat protection? Or over LOAD sensing shutdown as well?

In the event of an overload overheating shutdown what is the likelihood of damage when compared to modern day units?

I'd like to hook the generator to the generator input for cloudy day battery charging. But the installation manual said something about possibly needing a microcontroller firmware upgrade before having generator compatibility. What does this mean for me and if I need this firmware upgrade where can I find it? How do I identify whether or not mine has the upgrade?

If I hook a small 1000 watt generator to the inverters generator input will it not overload the generator and consume only 1000 Watts from the generator? If yes is it easy to switch to a differently rated generator when desired? Must it be manually programed to the generators specs?

I have a 4000 Watt Schneider context inverter that claims upon proper user configuration it intelligently simultaneously charges the batteries and passes the generators output directly through to the load and it even helps boost the wattage when there is a heavy surge that would have otherwise overloaded the generator. I am assuming the AE won't directly pass through and won't boost the generators output. Will the AE inverters do this? Or is this inverters generator input for charging only?

On the AE 3000 and 5000 what are common problems and or things that I should be aware of? Are there any preventative measures I can take to allow the unit to last longer aside from the normal?

Thank you again for your consideration. Like I said I feel like I'm a in the dark not knowing how these inverters are going to handle different situations. I won't be needing to hook them up for a few months.