Inverter Refrigerator Tested

mcgivor
mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Been a rainy day so decided to conduct a little test on the refrigerator for my own interests, but why not share the results with those who may be interested. By American standards it would be a mid sized unit with bottom drawer freezer, ample for my needs, runs on 220V AC and can run on 115V although I've never tried. 

First set up was using the inrush feature on my Ideal  clamp on meter, unit started the meter captured nothing.
Second was AC start up and run current, went up from zero to 1.2A in about 20 seconds during start up, then after a second, went down to 0.6A where it remained until it throttled back to 0.3A for some time before ending the cycle.

The DC side mirrored the AC, run,7.2A down to 3.7A, the inverter consumption is around 600 mA., 24v input 2000W. The cheap PSW inverter is not that happy when the refrigerator is on alone, perhaps too small of a load, growling until the load is increased. The Cotek inverter has no such issues but is 1000W, since half of it died a while back.

The refrigerator alone overnight has little effect on my currently small battery 260Ah, morning voltage without turning  the inverter is always 24.8 to 25V, mind you the nights are cool now @ 23'C. and I  have been conservative lately, trying to nurse a weak cell.
1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This LG has been in N. A. now for 2 years. Very nice and most ladies really like it. Like a mini-split you really do not know if it is on sometimes. Solved the problem of LED's on a dimmer at 70% or more and flickers.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-30-in-W-21-8-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Steel-LFC22770ST/205033976

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The LG refrigerator looks pretty good, the drawer freezer is a great feature, all the cold air doesn't fall out when you open it. Mine is smaller @ 14.7 cubic feet, cost around US $350, clearance price 2014 model, very pleased with it and yes when running on low you have to put your ear on it to hear it running, but then again perhaps I'm getting hard at hearing.
    Not sure what you meant regarding LED flicker @70% on a dimmer but did come across that a while back and had to replace the dimmer with a LED compatible dimmer, that being said, there was not an infinite control, went down to around 30% then shut off.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have tried and found different LED dimmers that work with the LED's I have now. When I have changed to different models the problem sometimes comes back. It is not a big deal for me but the softstart compressors solve the problem permenantly.
    The problem is I can't just tell my clients to pull out a dimmer switch and maybe, this will work when your 1.7KW peak surge from your refrigerator causes your dimmed LED's to flicker.
    Kind of spoils a glass of wine and can freak someone who does not know what is happening. It happens "sometimes" with the Outback and Schneider inverters I use and has since LED's came out and before with flourescent and incandescent. Not a big deal with other loads in an offgrid home as most of them are not at happy hour......
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net