looking for any good use for "load" terminals on a charge controller

Options
kit
kit Registered Users Posts: 4
I have a 150w panel 12v off-grid setup (2 golf cart bats) and an inexpensive 30a controller with basic "smart" multi-stage charging. It has two "load" terminals in addition to the battery and panel terminals.
Now, I understand from googling around that "load" should not be used for any large draws (e.g. that only small inverters can be attached, or else a single light). I understand that "load" normally turns on or off as well (although it can be programmed on my controller to be always on). I read also that it can be called "lvd".
However, I don't quite understand the dynamics of the power at "load". Is it the excess of panel power that can't be used for charging to the battery terminals and is otherwise wasted if you don't use it? Or, if I'm using load, is it just an extra draw that makes my battery charging slower? I have read the manual thoroughly, but it gives no insight other than just the settings for load.
Basically, I'm not sure about whether it's good to even consider using load for anything. But if it's not taking away from normal charging capabilities, are there some potentially good uses for it, other than lighting a light in the daytime (which I don't really need anyway)?

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the cheapo one I have has a multitude of choices for how long that 'night light' can be on. dusk to dawn, 1.2 3..... hrs after dusk etc...  never used it yet

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • basewindow
    basewindow Solar Expert Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Options
    The 'LOAD' on the controller is basically for low power items. The controller will generally state what the max in Amps that can be drawn from the load terminals. My 30a controller allows 30a to be drawn from the them however some controllers vary. I basically use it for my lights (LED) as my shack is wired for 12v and my 12v water pump. The LVD (low voltage disconnect) is basically a preset or adjustable voltage at which the controller will automatically cut power to protect the battery in case you leave something on etc. It will reconnect at a preset or adjustable voltage, ie: once the battery has been recharged enough by your panels or other method. Some contollers allow this to be further programed to come on at night or bn dusk to dawn etc or stay on for x amount of hours.
    Other heavier draw items are wired in one method or another to the battery and not to these terminals.
    cheers,
    cam.
    Off Grid shack - Victoria Australia. 480W array, 500Ah AGM at 12V. 30A PWM Manison CC. Trimetric 2030. 300W Pure Sine Inverter. 120lt Dometic Gas Fridge. Composting Toilet. 5000lt water tank with 12v 35psi pump. Bosch Hydropower 16 for nice hot water. 4kw Fuji Micro Generator (dead after 7 years) 5kva Subaru Generator.