My wee 12v RV system. Did I get this "right"?

Options
Bass-O-Matic
Bass-O-Matic Registered Users Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
Long time listener... first time caller... I'm finally getting around to installing my RV system in a new Build RV... which means I have some wiggle room on where things go. Here is what I got from various charts... please confirm or deny... :)

2 x 85 watt 12v poly panels @ 5 amps each for a total of 170 watts and 10 amps. Mounted flat. With the glue mounts so they have some breathing room under them.

16 feet from panels to PWM 30 watt charge controller. Here I'm a little confused on the required gauge of the wires. Basing my VDI on 20 amps to leave room for upgrades later, the charts that say to calculate the total one way distance from panel to batts recommend 6 gauge stranded copper. The wires coming out of the panels are 4mm (a measly 12 gauge) so.... Do I wire the two panels into a junction box and then from there go 6 gauge the 16 feet to the charge controller? 

From the Charge controller to the battery the shortest distance I can get is 3-4 feet. So seems like 6 gauge wire.

I read with that small an array that it would not be enough to charge two 6v golf cart batteries tied together to make 12v. True?

RE my total amp load. 3 dome lights, 1 water pump, 1 12v radio at 1amp, 1 DC vent fan, I calculated something like 37 amp hours.

Aren't I supposed to have a fuse somewhere? I'm guessing on the hot line from the charge controller to the batt?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• DConlyGuy
    DConlyGuy Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Options
    my panels are wired 12 volts and i run them about same distance as you on 10 gauge solar wire and it works fine. just remeber they are not really 12 volts, my panels usually run around 20 volts to the charge controller
    600 watts of solar panels,Epever 30 mppt , 2 PWHR12500W4FR battery's in 24 volt setup