TCP/IP Modbus using Conext Combox

Options
Has anyone had any luck establishing Modbus TCP/IP communication with the Xantrex/Schneider Conext Combox?

We have been using standard TCP/IP Modbus libraries, and able to successfully communicate with other TCP/IP Modbus devices. But no matter how we configure the Conext Combox, we cannot poll any registers from the Combox itself.

Any ideas what we may be missing?

We know that basic network configuration is correct. Firmware has been updated. Modbus server is configured to "Listening". I just cant think of anything else...

Comments

• vomus
    vomus Solar Expert Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: TCP/IP Modbus using Conext Combox
    Rutzs wrote: »
    Has anyone had any luck establishing Modbus TCP/IP communication with the Xantrex/Schneider Conext Combox?

We have been using standard TCP/IP Modbus libraries, and able to successfully communicate with other TCP/IP Modbus devices. But no matter how we configure the Conext Combox, we cannot poll any registers from the Combox itself.

Any ideas what we may be missing?

We know that basic network configuration is correct. Firmware has been updated. Modbus server is configured to "Listening". I just cant think of anything else...

I did. I use libmodbus for this:
    modbus_t *xantrex;
    xantrex = modbus_new_tcp("10.161.0.25", 502);
    modbus_set_slave(xantrex,10);
    The key thing as it turns out is to use modbus_set_slave().
  • Photonic
    Photonic Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks! This also works on the Labview Modbus library -- set property node "Unit ID" to the modbus address for the inverter.

Way better than the xantrex communications gateway with the password issue for modbustcp access and whatnot.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Vomus!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Juntekind
    Juntekind Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi , how can i connect a midnite classic to the combox and see the data of the classic on combox app
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I have a modbus programmer who did some work for me and my clients. I can give you contact info but if I were you I would use the Midnite software to do this. If you have an XW inverter and Midnite solar I just shake my head. Mixing equipment is just a major headache unless you are willing to spend time on this,  many of the people in this forum are pretty talented.

If you hired me I would replace the solar controller with an XW solar charger and the COMBOX can then communicate with Schneider Insight any where in the world by cell or internet. You can give the site info to someone like me and I can check the data with or without having access to the settings. I have 11 systems now that are doing this seemlessly without port forwarding the ISP. These are large offgrid homes with people who are too busy to be involved deeply. 

I hope this helped.

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Juntekind said:
    Hi , how can i connect a midnite classic to the combox and see the data of the classic on combox app

Knowing absolutely nothing of the details of any of the above,  have you seen,  or have any interest in this (?):
    http://www.n1gnn.com/ClassicStatus4Plus/Info.html

FWIW,  Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Juntekind
    edited September 2016 #8
    Options
    First mi inverter is an sw and that software is for the xw. What i want is to monitor midnite data on combox app
    Details:
    12x 260w 24v poly panels
    450ah 48v
    Midnite classic 150
    Schneider conext sw4048
    Schneider conext Scp
    Schneider conext combox
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Have you looked or asked what is done on the Midnite website? This is not the place as I would tell you it would probably cost quite a few big denomination bills for my modbus programmer to help. Probably 8 or 9 stones and your close involvement with him.
    About 5 stones for a Schneider charge controller that would interface all data with your conext SW and combox. Good Luck!

• Vic
    Options

Hi Junte..,

Sorry,  was unable to correctly guess just what was your system setup ...  thanks for the added context.

You CAN run a free app on an Android phone to monitor a considerable amount of data from a Classic.

There is the MidNite Local App,  but, this requires a computer as the interface.

There IS MyMidnite,  which is a website allowing one to view important information from the Classic,  but at fairly granular intervals.

Just do not know of any other things available.

FWIW,   That is all.     Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Juntekind
    Options
    In other word cant see midnite data on combox pv chart using modbus or a converter?
  • Vic
    Options
    Juntekind said:
    In other word cant see midnite data on combox pv chart using modbus or a converter?

Hi Junte..,

Here is a Link to a Thread on the MidNite Solar Forum,  regarding the Android App,  mentioned above:
    http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?topic=1589.0

YES,  you are correct in thinking that this is not a method of using the Combox to view the Classic data,  but there may be other ways to do what you wish.   This may be of no interest to you ...  you may want to peruse the rest of the MidNite  Forum,  to see what else is going on within the MidNite Community:
    http://www.midniteforum.com/index.php

This is all that I can offer at this point.   Good Luck,   Vic

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Juntekind said:
    You can if you have the time and money! All of the modbus material someone needs is on the Schneider site. About 2 years ago they opened up the info needed to do just about anything with a modbus converter. 

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016 #14
    Options
    I just meld them manually in a spreadsheet, Midnight, Morningstar and XW via combox
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    edited September 2016 #15
    Options
    One screen is the combox system, the other is the combox out to the web portal "Insight". Insight allows monitoring only but is nice as you do not have to worry about settings being changed.