Chicken coop leds.... :)

Options
Everlong
Everlong Solar Expert Posts: 36 ✭✭
Fairly familiar with solar, but.... its for a chicken coop :)

Where do I start? need light for the night, not really any of these Chinese solar lighs. Not really looking for the whole new setup.

Looking for something that will charge maybe 4 of AA batteries(Capacity concern) or maybe like a 6v , and two leds? no more, diy and soldering is OK.
Where do I start?  

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016 #2
    Options
    dealing with 4 AA batteries is really a toy item.  No serious gear for that,   You could get a 50W panel for a 12V system use a charge controller and a small motorcycle battery, and power a 12V AA charger, one is in my .sig below

Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger w/12V automotive cord

The problem with a PV & charger, is that any shade or shadows, could crash the voltage, and reset the charger cycle, so a 12v battery for voltage stability is needed, or design a new product.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Everlong
    Everlong Solar Expert Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited September 2016 #3
    Options
    Mike, I understand. My Quail are a toy, sort off:) they lay eggs too ;) Thought about going the route you're suggesting.
    Also saw these small DIY panels on ebay, the ones you solder stuff to. Thought about going this route before. Any of the smaller charge controllers have a night light hookups? I think I saw it somewhere, so as soon as sun "dies" it turns on the "night light" That would probably work with an automotive Led of some sort.

Why I'm doing this.....
    My quail will go into garage for the winter, they are not friendly with -20C temps. They need about 12-14 hours of light to lay eggs. Don't really want to run a regular light. Would rather tinker with something ;)
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Everlong said:
    Mike, I understand. My Quail are a toy, sort off:) they lay eggs too ;) Thought about going the route you're suggesting.
    Also saw these small DIY panels on ebay, the ones you solder stuff to. Thought about going this route before. Any of the smaller charge controllers have a night light hookups? I think I saw it somewhere, so as soon as sun "dies" it turns on the "night light" That would probably work with an automotive Led of some sort.

Why I'm doing this.....
    My quail will go into garage for the winter, they are not friendly with -20C temps. They need about 12-14 hours of light to lay eggs. Don't really want to run a regular light. Would rather tinker with something ;)
    If they need light to lay eggs, does this mean that the light got to be bright for an extended time and what color light do they need?

They sell screw-in LED lights at lowes hardware and home depot that work at 110 volts 220 volts and use 10 watts and up depending how bright they are. Looks like you got grid power which is cheaper than solar and battery.

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LED lights will not warm much of anything,   And a night light is not bright enough to induce laying
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,