help starting outback flexmax 60

Options
steelheadguy
steelheadguy Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
I hope someone here can help me with this.
I have a flexmax60 connected to my brand new 6v trojan 225ah batteries. There are 4 of them for 24v.
When I connect them the flexmaxs fan kicks on for 2 seconds then shuts off. The display goes black and there is no green backlight.
The batteries are new and fully charged. The flexmax has never been used, but I purchased it last year and have stored it til now.

Any insight? From what Ive read the controller should start up once the natteries are connected.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is the PV connected or disconnected when this happens?    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    In general, connect the battery bank to the charge controller first (and the batteries have to not be "dead" or near dead). Then connect the solar panels.

If you connect the solar panels first, many controllers may get confused and/or not function.

And, use a good volt meter to check the connections at the controller's DC inputs directly (look for bad fuse/breaker/wiring connections).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • steelheadguy
    Options
    I tried with just the batteries connected first. Then tried with pv array connected, same results. Fan turns on for a couple seconds and a black screen.

I get 24.7v at the battery terminals.
  • Desert Rat
    Desert Rat Solar Expert Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If I remember correctly, it is normal for the FM controller's fan to run only for a couple of seconds when first powered up. And the green backlight default setting is AUTO, where it is on a timer. It believe the default timer setting is 2 minutes. When you say black screen, do you mean nothing is displayed, or just no backlight?
  • steelheadguy
    Options
    No backlight and all the pixels are filled showing a black bar across the display, which is not there with the batteries disconnected.
  • Desert Rat
    Desert Rat Solar Expert Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmm. Have you verified correct battery voltage and polarity at the BAT+ and BAT- terminals of the controller? You might try going through the Select Version process and then manually select the correct SYSTEM VOLTAGE. If that doesn't work I think a call to Outback is in order.