anyone seen the orson power thing

t00ls
t00ls Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
heres there website
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ericclifton/orison-rethink-the-power-of-energy?ref=launchboom-si-h-d&utm_source=launchboom&utm_medium=ads&utm_campaign=launchboom-si-h-d

they are telling people this is JUST plug and play.....no need for an installer.....they also dont tell you to inform the power company that you are backfeeding the grid

so much snake oil in this thing

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    t00ls said:

they are telling people this is JUST plug and play.....no need for an installer.....they also dont tell you to inform the power company that you are backfeeding the grid
    Note that they are not backfeeding the grid.  They do not supply more power than your loads are taking.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Would thy not backfeed  the grid during a power outage if there were no loads at the time?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Would thy not backfeed  the grid during a power outage if there were no loads at the time?
    Don't think so.  Existing hybrid inverters don't do that, and they state specifically that they do not backfeed.

From talking to a co-worker who looked at one of these, this is basically a hybrid inverter (with the usual anti-islanding protections) with a small battery.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess what threw me is their statement that it's PLUG and PLAY and all the previous units discussed here have been p&p into the house wiring via a wall socket... that and the picture of that avant guard lamp like talking feature i the living room...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • t00ls
    t00ls Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    thing is...it is connected to the grid while supplying power to the home...on only one side of  2 legs of 120v.......NEC does not allow this

power companies do not allow you to just plug something in that produces power while connected to the grid, without first informing them

PV installers have to go through all kinds of inspections just to connect a grid tie device.....these guys think they can go around that

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    t00ls said:

Note that they are not backfeeding the grid.  They do not supply more power than your loads are taking.
    A device plugged into a wall socket has no way of knowing the difference between a load somewhere in the house and the load provided by the grid. If it is backfeeding the local loads it is also backfeeding the grid should the local loads consume less than the inverter is putting out.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Technically, any load with inductance or capacitance "backfeeds the grid".

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development