48V Bank wiring question

Options
porch13
porch13 Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
I'm putting together a 48V system that will have two strings of eight batteries.  Does my wiring look correct to ensure that I'm pulling from opposite corners of the bank?   I'm having a mental block over here....

Northern Arizona...4050 Watt off-grid system - Outback FP1 - Rolls 605 in a 48V bank

Comments

• porch13
    Options
    Hmmm....the more I look at it, the more I think this looks right.

Northern Arizona...4050 Watt off-grid system - Outback FP1 - Rolls 605 in a 48V bank
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see much difference between them.  You seem to have kept the cables shorter and of equal distance more so in #1 than in #2...  #2 at first looks simpler for old simple minds, but has longer cable length on the Pos. side...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You didn't mention capacity, but did you consider using one string of batteries?
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • KeithWHare
    KeithWHare Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The first diagram looks correct to me. The wire lengths are reasonably well balanced.

I don't understand the second diagram. It looks like you are joining the strings in the middle.

I don't like having the battery bank four batteries deep. If you have access to both sides of the battery bank, it will be fine, but if one side is against the wall, you will be leaning across three rows of batteries to get to the batteries in the fourth row.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As Keith mentioned, the first diagram is correct.   --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • porch13
    Options
    HI Guys, thanks for all the responses. I'm purchasing this kit from NAWS and it includes 16 Trojan T-145s to get a 48V 520AH bank.  I've looked at other options to get a single string with similar AH, but can't find anything that would be somewhat close in price.  I'm somewhat fanatical about maintenance so, what the heck, I'll give it a go and do everything I can to get as much life as possible out of the batteries.  Speaking of maintenance, I am going to re-design my battery box to only be two batteries deep. KeithWHare made a good point that it would be a booger to work on the back batteries if i had them in a box four deep.