Will a 100w panel charge a 48v battery?

Options
cliff1959
cliff1959 Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi Everyone,
This seems like a friendly forum so I've taken the plunge and joined in.
I've been wanting to get something solar going for a while now and I've just bought a slightly damaged (frame only) 100w monocrystaline panel. I have a 12/24v PWM controller and a 12 leisure battery ... this set up runs a few 12v led lights in my shed.
I'm now thinking it would be good to run a drill and grinder from the system. Research tells me I need at least a 2000w inverter due to the spike electric motors put out. I've acquired a second leisure battery but is it worth connecting this in series to the first battery for my system? Hence my question in the title before I consider investing in an inverter.
If the answer is 'yes' the panel can charge the batteries then how would I run 12v lights from a 24v system?
Any help gratefully accepted.
Over in Sunny Devon, England.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    100 watt panels tend to be 12 volt nominal panels, meaning they generate about 17.5 - 19 volts. While a purest would tell you,  you could charge a 48 volt battery... you would have to jump through a whole bunch of hoops, and then you don't have enough wattage to charge a very large battery bank.

An alternative would be to charge 18 volt DeWalt batteries from 120 AC, and use hand drills and grinders. The old NiCD pod battery types should be available cheaply at pawn shops and thrift stores as Lithium claims the market, and pretty good replacement batteries can be had for $25-30 off eBay. Most of the DeWalt chargers will do well from MSW(Cheap) inverter.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016 #3
    Options
    See if they're any 24v  50-75 watt panels out there to hook up in series.  Or just buy two 100 watt 24v panels, and wire in series and charge 2-3 batts.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • cliff1959
    cliff1959 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the info. If I added another 100w 12v panel in series would this not give me 24v to run through my 24v controller into my 24v battery bank? Then I could add the inverter?
    Over in Sunny Devon, England.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Yes, you are correct... Adding a second (matching) solar panel in series would give you "24 volts" for charging your 24 volts battery bank (technically Vmp~35-36 volts).

The big issue is your expectations on the amount of power you can expect from a couple of solar panels and a pair of 12 volt batteries.

For a "reliable" off grid solar system with a 24 volt @ 2kWatt AC inverter. Using "typical/optimum" rules of thumb would give you a system like this:
    • 2,000 Watt inverter (4,000 Watts surge)
    • 400 AH @ 24 volt battery bank (for example: 4x 6 volt @ 200 AH golf cart batteries in series with 2x parallel strings for 8 G.C. flooded cell lead acid batteries in total)
    You can run 5% to 13% rate of charge for such a battery bank. Taking 10% rate of charge (full off grid, daily usage):
    • 400 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 1,506 Watt solar array
    Say you live just down the block from me near Redwood City California (across the bay from Fremont--similar weather):
    http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Fremont
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 52° angle from vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)
    Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun

Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

Toss the bottom three months of winter (use less power, use genset for bad weather, etc.), 4.56 Hours of sun (February break even month):
    • 1,506 Watt array * 0.52 off grid system AC efficiency * 4.56 hours of sun = 3,571 Watt*Hours per day
    That is enough power to run a very efficient off grid cabin with LED lights, refrigerator, well pump, clothes washer, laptop, etc. (veryI  efficient off grid cabin/home).

I don't think this is what you want/need/were planning for... But if you want the AC inverter and to run (for example) a large grinder for 2-3 hours per day--That is what such a system would look like.

Typically, we suggest working on your loads first.. Conservation is key for a cost effective off grid power system. Using battery based power tools which are already designed for minimal power usage and to operate from small battery backs (that are typically NiCad or Li Ion--designed to supply very high amounts of current/power for short periods)--And then your solar power system only has to run the battery charger for your tools (a few hundred watts for an hour or two per battery charge per tool).

And use a Kill-a-Watt type meter to measure your AC loads to design a system that is matched to your loads.

If you have AC power on the property--It is generally much more cost effective to just bury a 100 feet of 10 AWG cable from your home to the shed for AC power. May not be as much fun--But is more practical (Golf Cart batteries are cheap at ~$90 each, last 3-5 years, electronics, charge controller, AC inverter, will need replacement after ~10+ years, etc.).

Your thoughts?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset