question

pat
pat Registered Users Posts: 2
can I use 3 100 watt solar panels to feed into 2 100 amh batteries, would it be too much of a charge?? I would be boondocking in a camper thanks

Comments

• DConlyGuy
    DConlyGuy Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭
    if you got good sun you can, i did it for almost a year with a 235ah battery bank, it will help if you do add a mppt controller 
    600 watts of solar panels,Epever 30 mppt , 2 PWHR12500W4FR battery's in 24 volt setup
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    To be clear, 2x 12 volt batteries?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    From what I see most of the noobs buy on here they typically almost always end up with 100ah 12v group 31 marine batteries which aren't even real deep cycle batteries.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• pat
    pat Registered Users Posts: 2
    here is what I have;   3 100 watt 12 vlt renogy solar panels, 2 12vlt batteries UB121000 100 amp batteries, a bogart sc2030 charge controller with a trimetric 2030-rv -battery monitor system. I have not put it all together yet. Wanted to know if you think I could boondock for about 2 months   using this system. Would be in the winter in Arizona. Thanks for your opinions andwelcome any advise.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    You haven't specified your loads... that system will be inadequate to run an electric fridge.  It will work well to run a few LED lights in the evening.  Systems are designed to meet a load.  Not knowing your load, I can't answer your question.

One aspect of system design is to have enough solar resource to charge the battery and handle daytime loads.  Your 300 watts of panel will typically yield 231 watts at mid-day.  At a charging voltage of 14.6 volts, that would be 15.8 amps to the battery if there were no daytime loads.  That is a 7.9% charge rate, which will be adequate to charge those batteries in a day's time... if there are no daytime loads and the battery is not too far discharged.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i