Differences Between Two Panels

xyzHollyxyz
xyzHollyxyz Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭
My friend is looking at a small solar system for her RV - one, maybe two, 100W panels, 12V. What are the differences between these two panels - I see the differing numbers, but I don't know what the differences mean (except the price - know what THAT means!)

Thanks for your input. 

Comments

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016 #2
    Hi Holly,

The main difference is the size of the panel. Although they are both 100 watt panels, the monocrystalline panel produces more power per square inch, making it about 6 inches more narrow. These are used if the space for the panels is restricted. And as you can see, you pay extra for THAT.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • xyzHollyxyz
    "I thought they were both mono?", she said, scratching her head...

So, basically, it's just a size and weight thing? (and more $$$)? 
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    How about that, I thought it was a misprint, but on Renogy's site they state they are both mono. The Eclipse (read more expensive) is apparently  made of the highest quality cells Renogy has to offer.   
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi xyz..,

The "best" cells may just be more efficient.

There IS also a difference in the Vmp and Imp (operating voltage and current) difference between these tow 100 W PVs.

So,  there is a bit of fine detail in how your system might operate with these differences.

Assume that you would be using these PVs to charge a battery.   And might assume that you would be using a PWM type Charge Controller (CC).

A PWM CC would generally deliver a bit more current to your battery with the PV with the lower voltage,  but with somewhat higher current  --  only about 5 watts more with the more expensive PV.

Could you tell us more about the system that you have or are planning?

Like battery size and type,  system voltage,  amount of PV power you are planning,  and CC model being used or planned,  any inverter size,  brand and model,   etc.

As you know the details of the system does depend upon the loads placed on the system,  when these loads occur,  and the peak demand of the loads,  plus the approximate location of the system,  which helps determine that actual amount of useful sun that could be expected,   and so on.

Thanks,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • xyzHollyxyz
    I posted the original post for my friend, and she just now posted about a charge controller. Her user name is YodaRules. But I think I will post my set-up and needs for analysis. THANK YOU, Vic!