Mate charger limit setting, is it just for the genny?

Freewilley
Freewilley Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭
When I set the limit through the mate, Adv/fx/charger/charger limit, is it just the generator input or the aggregate of all sources (gen and solar, in my case)?
The way the system displays when I start the genny, I think it is setting just the genny limit.
If so, is there a way to limit the aggregate from all sources?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
12 volt Flojet water pump
off grid summer home in northern Ontario

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 chargers at a minimum. The solar charger and the generator/grid charger.  They each need to have their charging characteristics entered. If you are smart about it, you can set the voltage set-points to use all of the solar first and then fill in the rest with the generator. The current limit on the generator is all you really need to be concerned with unless you add more solar.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Freewilley
    Thanks Dave.
    One side issue is that I am currently using only 2 of the batteries. I just returned to the property 2 weeks ago and decided I needed to equalize the system and wanted to try it with a small bank....this has worked well with the 2 active batteries and tomorrow I will switch to the other 2 for 2 weeks. Then I will hook up all four for continued use.
    SO, that is why I was looking at my limit....with only 2 batteries I figure that about 700 watts is maximum input. From your answer, I guess I should drop the charger limit on my 2 charge controllers so that I do not overcharge the small bank over the next 2 weeks...this is what I did until I started to wonder if the Mate actually was limiting aggregate charge.

Not sure what you meant by setting the voltage set points to use all of the solar first. But I am set at 14.8 for absorb and 16.0 for equalize....

thanks again
    Willey
    Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    The charge limit you see is for the inverter/charger.  If you have an Outback Flexnet DC you can set the "global' charge limits.  When you do that the charge controller will throttle back if the generator is charging and the global limit is exceeded.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Freewilley
    I do not have a flexnet. So I set my 2 cc to 28 amps....
  • Dave Angelini
    vtmaps said:
    The charge limit you see is for the inverter/charger.  If you have an Outback Flexnet DC you can set the "global' charge limits.  When you do that the charge controller will throttle back if the generator is charging and the global limit is exceeded.

--vtMaps
    Really?  That seems wrong? I would think the generator would decrease output and use the max from the solar charge controller.

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    vtmaps said:

--vtMaps
    Really?  That seems wrong? I would think the generator would decrease output and use the max from the solar charge controller.

I have ranted about this a few times on this forum.   

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Freewilley
    But that only applies if you have the flexnet.....anything else I need to know?
  • Dave Angelini
    There is always more to know  B)  The strategy of setting the generator  DC  bulk/absorb charge voltage .2 V  lower than the solar allows the solar to be used first and may save you fuel.  I do not use a generator and so I forget alot about the Outback gear I use to use alot.

Hey Michael,  the Surgery is off for me. The MRI showed the Doc that it might not work and he wants me to try Aleve and come in for a Cortisone shot if it gets bad.  He also said he has golf buddies who have bad wrists and they premedicate with Aleve the day before and keep it up for 3 or 4 days. There are stronger drugs also. So far it is working well. I did 2 arrays last week and seem fine.
    He also said I was undermedicating with Ibuprofen and because there are so many pills to take the Aleve is easier to not forget.

Thanks for your advice!