Conext SW 2524 inverter

Options
trumpets3u
trumpets3u Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
I have this inverter and the conext system control panel , a outback controller. Right now I have in  the AC support mode settings  the AC Supp start soc on 70% and the AC Supp stop Soc on 50% is this the best to get the most out of the batteries? Is the more I can change?
                          Thanks Brian

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    I will bump this for you and ask a few questions (I do not have answers).

What kind of batteries do you have?

Are you looking to "save money" on your power bill? What is your electric rate ($/kWH)? Or are you off grid with only Solar+Genset for yoru electric power?

Being in the US, this system is probably for occasional power outages rather than near daily afternoon power outages.

In general, cycling the battery once per month down to ~80-70% state of charge (for flooded cell lead acid batteries) but otherwise letting the system float the rest of the time is probably going to save you the most money.

In general, for the USA, our electric rates are cheaper than the cost of replacing batteries that wear out from daily cycling.

Just let the system operate in GT mode (batteries full, excess energy to sold to grid). There is usually not much reason otherwise to cycle the batteries while the grid is up.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • trumpets3u
    trumpets3u Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    Options
    We have 1500AH of batteries now will be adding as time goes on, also 1440W of panels. We do have power from the grid but it's a line we ran off a panel in our barn 1000' feet away so so it's good for a small back up. I would like to get the most out of the solar panels as I can. Right now even on the sunny day it drawing grid power along with the solar even when we have light loads.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"We have 1500AH of batteries now will be adding as time goes on" I'd make a brave guess that you are not correct in assessing your battery amp hour rating.

You have a 24 volt battery bank, if you have 4 - 210 amp hour 6 volt batteries in series, you would have a 210 amp hour 24 volt battery bank. A 24 volt bank at 1500Ahs in flooded lead acid batteries would weigh 2000lbs or so...

What are your loads? If you can't charge the battery bank now why would you add batteries? Adding new batteries to old is a bad idea...FWIW

Perhaps you do have that large a battery bank, to charge a 24 volt 1500 amp hour battery bank, I would suggest a minimum of an array that can reliably produce 150 Amps at 24 volts or 4600 watt array.

More questions than answers in your response.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The more you work your batteries, the faster they wear out and need replacement.   It's likely better to just sell 100% to 90%, and not drive your batteries so deep. 
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,