generator size.

petertearai
petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
hi gojng to get a new generator . For my system . outback fxr2024e .instalation manual suggests 2 times inveter output . so 4 kva . really don't want the extra expense . thinking of the honda 2 kva inveter generator that lots of people have.I see I can limit the input curent to match my generator. question ....any major problem doing that?
2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    In the last couple years my thinking and use of generators have changed. I think your on the right track by using a smaller inverter / generator. You can adjust the ACin and the charger limit to match the generator input and loads. I assume you have Generator Support with the outback fxr2024e, that helps a lot. Your runtime when charging is longer, but the fuel consumption is less and your loads use AC so that helps.
  • petertearai
    Thanks
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how fast the outback systems respond to power transients, like a toaster turning on, or even a fridge starting up.  The inverter may disqualify the generator, and then re-qualify it.  While the 2Kw genset is affordable, can it handle the surges, charge the batteries and maintain your base loads ?   There is a 3Kw inverter by Honda.
     And here I sit with a 6Kw inverter and 3Kw genset.  But my 300# of flywheel seem to handle the surges and the genset, in 4 years, has only been disqualified once.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    mike95490 said:
    Not sure how fast the outback systems respond to power transients, like a toaster turning on, or even a fridge starting up.  The inverter may disqualify the generator, and then re-qualify it.  While the 2Kw genset is affordable, can it handle the surges, charge the batteries and maintain your base loads ?  
    Forum member 'Blackcherry04' has been very successful using gen support with an Outback system and a honda eu2000 inverter generator.  The inverter generator doesn't handle huge surges very well, but the Outback system is fast enough to handle the surges. 

It is my impression from reading this and other forums that the Outback systems do gen support better, or at least faster, than the xantrex/schneider systems.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Everything is a tradeoff using a generator offgrid . It's always a balancing act with power management and costs vs outcome.

I went with a pair of Honda EU2000's because of the weight so I can pick one up and I can parallel them when necessary for a larger output.

Home Depot has a heck of a deal right now on a Honda EU3000is. All you need is a Remote if your so inclined. This doesn't help the OP but it might someone.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-3-000-Watt-Super-Quiet-Gasoline-Powered-Electric-Start-Inverter-Generator-with-Eco-Throttle-and-Oil-Alert-EU3000IS1A/206192156

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Everything is a tradeoff using a generator offgrid . It's always a balancing act with power management and costs vs outcome.

I went with a pair of Honda EU2000's because of the weight so I can pick one up and I can parallel them when necessary for a larger output.

Home Depot has a heck of a deal right now on a Honda EU3000is. All you need is a Remote if your so inclined. This doesn't help the OP but it might someone.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-3-000-Watt-Super-Quiet-Gasoline-Powered-Electric-Start-Inverter-Generator-with-Eco-Throttle-and-Oil-Alert-EU3000IS1A/206192156

Hi Bc 04,   WOW,  that is a very good deal on an EU3000is.   These gensets still appear to use a  Manual Coke,  so Remote Start (if that is what you were referring to)  might be a bit difficult.

FWIW,  Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Blackcherry04
    edited January 2016 #8
    Vic said:

Hi Bc 04,   WOW,  that is a very good deal on an EU3000is.   These gensets still appear to use a  Manual Coke,  so Remote Start (if that is what you were referring to)  might be a bit difficult.

FWIW,  Vic

You can get this kit and it includes a automatic choke. Again, it depends on if you need it or not.

http://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com/view/heuremotekit3/

• petertearai
    got the honda eu2 . hooked up . runs well . no issues with fridge or washing machine. thanks for all replys . ... further question . have connected inverter to ac in via a 3 pin plug extension cord . how safe is the bare pins when not pluged into generator . have measured the voltage and it is zero. assume the transfer switch is isolotating the gen ac in.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
     have connected inverter to ac in via a 3 pin plug extension cord . how safe is the bare pins when not pluged into generator . have measured the voltage and it is zero. assume the transfer switch is isolotating the gen ac in.
    It is very safe, but that assumes it is wired correctly and that your AC neutral is bonded to ground.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    I'd buy a extra female receptacle to put on the male end when not in use. If some reason the Inverter went into the sell mode then it would be hot. Thats why they call it a suicide cord.
  • petertearai
    Thanks . will add a female cover plug for when not inuse . im off grid and set to such ,so shouldn't go into sell .........but it is only a computer code that keeps it that way ..
  • highvoltpower
    highvoltpower Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    hi gojng to get a new generator . For my system . outback fxr2024e .instalation manual suggests 2 times inveter output . so 4 kva . really don't want the extra expense . thinking of the honda 2 kva inveter generator that lots of people have.I see I can limit the input curent to match my generator. question ....any major problem doing that?

You use a smaller generator so, you have correct the AC in and the charger boundary to match the generator input and loading of your application. It’s safe, nevertheless that undertakes supported wired correctly.