House to Yurt - mid-life lifestyle change - advice needed.

llrrll
llrrll Registered Users Posts: 4
Currently prepping a yurt to be our full-time residence, minus water and plumbing.  

I've estimated our daily kwh use = max 2500wh.  It's hard to estimate but most of our lighting is on a small solar system of it's own.  Currently, we have been fine with (2) 100w panels and (2) GC-2 6v 225ah batteries, Xantrex Puresine 1000w inverter, and a pwm charge controller (this setup has only seen continuous use for 2-3 days at a time.  It has really only powered cell phone chargers, XM radio, small TV, and laptop - with occasional vacuum use (small Dyson DC24).  

However, I'm anticipating a rise in use - it's hard to nail it down for sure.  So, the new setup, and quite possibly not getting rid of current setup as backup, will be (4) 250w Hyundai His250-mg panels split into 2 strings (2 panels in parallel to 30a dc breaker at combiner box x 2) --> 30ft of 6-2 w/g to 60amp breaker --> Midnite Classic 150 --> (4) L16 Deka 370ah batteries --> Outback fxw2524 inverter

The DC end of things is being housed in a Midnite solar MNDC250 box and will be wired according to their diagram.  I've purchased a 60amp GFPD but it appears that the Midnite Classic already has that built in, correct?

I'd like it if someone would critique what I've laid out.  Any considerations?  The future may bring a fridge to be added, but we are currently using a propane RV fridge (old dometic).  

Comments

• llrrll
    Also, I purchased a Midnite surge arrestor 300.  Where is the best location to mount?  Combiner, DC box?  Do I need more than one?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    llrrll said:
    Also, I purchased a Midnite surge arrestor 300.  Where is the best location to mount?  Combiner, DC box?  Do I need more than one?
    The 300V is for the AC line, way too high for low voltage DC orotection.   I'd put a SPD at the combiner box, input to the controller, and at the output of the XW inverter
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• llrrll
    The model number and description match for DC protection (MNSPD300DC).  So, I could put this one on my DC box inside, add one for the AC inside, and also add another DC out at the combiner box?  What makes these surge protection devices superior over some others I've been able to find for less money? (not as cool looking or able to tell you with LEDs that they are working).  

Also, stated in a couple other threads was a formula on how to pair the correct size inverter to your battery bank.  So, in this theory, I should have no larger than a 1000w-1500w inverter.  The one question that was never answered in other threads, directly, is does it hurt to upsize the inverter (but not use the extra capacity) to help plan for a future expansion?

On another note, this "electro end osmosis" phenomenon...so, no one suggests that I can bury my DC line from array to system with USE-2 and NO conduit?  And if I lean to use conduit, is THHN fine?  or do I need to be looking for a place that sells THWN by the foot?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Following the rules in the National Electric Code (buried, conduit size/type, insulation type, etc.) are all (pretty conservatively) designed for a long and safe service life.

There are direct burial versions of some cabling... And I sort of like an over sized buried conduit so that I can add cable later (if needed) or pull new stuff is something goes wrong. Also, I will bury a second over sized conduit (such as black ABS) for "other stuff" if ever needed (Ethernet, water line, monitoring wiring, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset