Help to design 20 KW grid tie system

Options
I want to install 20 kw grid tie system. The specification is as follows
solar modules     20 KW
GT  Inverter        20 KW
Generator           50 KVa
Running Load     20-30 KW
Most of the time there is no grid available. Will this system work?
Please help in this matter.  

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    A standard GT Inverter requires very tight frequency regulation (and good sine wave form) of commercial utility to work correctly.

With smaller generators, their frequency accuracy is not good enough to make a GT Inverter "sync" with the line frequency.

However, the larger generators, it may be possible for it to sync.

The next problem is that standard GT inverters simply just output 100% of their available solar power to the AC mains. In your case, if your loads are less than 20 kWatts, then where does the power go---It cannot go back into the genset without causing problems (high line voltage, damage to the genset, etc.).

If you have AC utility power, your GT solar system would connect to the grid and if the AC mains fails, the AC GT Inverter would be shut down and genset would carry 100% of the local AC loads while the AC utility power is off (emergency backup power). Of course, this requires your utility to allow GT connected solar systems.

If you do not have AC utility power, or have "unreliable" AC utility power (afternoon power failures, as an example), you could instead use an Off grid (or hybrid) AC inverter that can take both AC mains and AC Genset power in, supply AC power out, and use a backup battery bank (solar+genset recharge battery bank, AC genset supplies power when batteries get low, Hybrid inverter can feed back "extra" solar power back to utility).

Can be done, is not cheap.

Is desire for 100% off grid power, AC Mains backup power, saving money, or what?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A 20Kw system is quite huge, I run a 12.5 Kw grid tie system that is considered large but I have the consumption to justify it.

Really unreliable grid type system usually require batteries as the buffer for cloud events, cloudy days, etc. Then uses an off grid inverter to handle AC loads from the batteries.  The solar panels then keep the batteries charged up  with a Generator for backup charging. There are some inverters that muddy the waters while having batteries when full charged they will sell to the grid.  Generally the costs of the system are about double or triple a grid tie system because of the extra equipment, batteries and generator.

I think you need to explain your needs and location for a better estimate and design for success.  Start with the loads you need to run and that will lead to system sizing.
  • syedbukhari
    syedbukhari Solar Expert Posts: 104
    edited January 2016 #4
    Options
    BB. said:
    A standard GT Inverter requires very tight frequency regulation (and good sine wave form) of commercial utility to work correctly.

With smaller generators, their frequency accuracy is not good enough to make a GT Inverter "sync" with the line frequency.

However, the larger generators, it may be possible for it to sync.

The next problem is that standard GT inverters simply just output 100% of their available solar power to the AC mains. In your case, if your loads are less than 20 kWatts, then where does the power go---It cannot go back into the genset without causing problems (high line voltage, damage to the genset, etc.).

-Bill
    As i mentioned i want to use higher capacity generator i:e 50 kva. Is it ok for better sync?
    As you mention a standard GT inverter output 100 % of their available power to the AC main
    Do you mean that all the power produced from the solar will go in the main grid and we can not utilize solar power to run the appliances? We can only use grid power to run the appliances and in the month end we will calculate the power produce and power consumed through net metering.
    or
    The power produced from the GT inverter is first utilized by the appliances and the remaining if there is any fed to main grid? Please clear this point.
    Thirdly my load is greater than the solar power produce but the grid is very unreliable in the day time infarct the whole day. 
  • syedbukhari
    Options
    BB. said:
    If you have AC utility power, your GT solar system would connect to the grid and if the AC mains fails, the AC GT Inverter would be shut down and genset would carry 100% of the local AC loads while the AC utility power is off (emergency backup power). Of course, this requires your utility to allow GT connected solar systems.
    -Bill
    Why the GT inverter will shut down as we are using generator as AC main back up?
  • syedbukhari
    Options

I think you need to explain your needs and location for a better estimate and design for success.  Start with the loads you need to run and that will lead to system sizing.
    I am from Pakistan. I want to run almost 20-30 KW load. The load consists of fans,lights,computers,printers,motors etc.
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    syedbukhari said:
    Do you mean that all the power produced from the solar will go in the main grid and we can not utilize solar power to run the appliances?  . . .
    or
    The power produced from the GT inverter is first utilized by the appliances and the remaining if there is any fed to main grid?
    The two are basically equivalent.  You need X watts; the solar inverter is supplying Y watts.  If (X-Y) is positive, then you use power from the grid; if not, then you send power back to the grid.  How that is billed depends on the details of the regulations in your country, but electrically they are the same.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont think GTI is a good fit for your application. As bill said it depends on the grid to operate. AC coupled systems are tricky to get right and rely intrinsically on the communication between the GTI and the hybrid inverter. Either way i see no way to avoid batteries, so why not just use a hybrid inverter and be done with it. If none of this makes sense then you are in over your head and will need professional help.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• BB.
    Options
    The utility grid, to a GT Inverter, looks like a "giant AC Battery Bank"... So any power not used locally, simply goes "backwards" through the utility meter (depending on meter and your utility, the meter should actually turn backwards).

In the case of your AC genset, say the school only runs 5-6 days a week, the last day, the school is mostly shut down and the excess power tries to run backwards through the genset. Usually, this is not a good thing.

Not to say that this is not impossible to do (use solar assisted power generation)--But it is something that would have to be coordinated with the generator manufacturer and see what they support, and what vendors they support for solar power.

Many different ways to address the question, but I do not know of any off the shelf solutions myself (I am not in the solar/generator business, so there is a lot I do not know).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • South Africa
    South Africa Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #10
    Options
    Just putting it out there. I built a off-grid system with solar as primary source and grid as backup with batteries as last resort.

If battery SOC are 95%, auto switch back to grid (cheaper than more batts) in order to keep batts charged at all times to safeguard against night time and no grid.

Not feeding back any power, so all those regulations, T&C in being grid tied, are not applicable.

System has been running flawlessly since Mar 2012.
    5kVA Victron Multiplus II, 5.2kW array, 14kWh DIYLifepo4 bank, all grid-tied.

• syedbukhari
    Options
    BB. said:
    The utility grid, to a GT Inverter, looks like a "giant AC Battery Bank"... So any power not used locally, simply goes "backwards" through the utility meter (depending on meter and your utility, the meter should actually turn backwards).

In the case of your AC genset, say the school only runs 5-6 days a week, the last day, the school is mostly shut down and the excess power tries to run backwards through the genset. Usually, this is not a good thing.

Not to say that this is not impossible to do (use solar assisted power generation)--But it is something that would have to be coordinated with the generator manufacturer and see what they support, and what vendors they support for solar power.

-Bill
    As you understand very well, i want to design this system for a school. The working time is  6-7 hrs. There is no need of power at night that's why i am looking for a grid tie solution. Off grid system may be good but i want to try this first because off grid system is very expensive as compared to GT. 
    Grid is available for 4-5 hrs in the day time, we have a problem to run the system for remaining 2 hrs when the grid is not available. that's why i want to use the generator for uninterrupted GT inverter operation but i am not sure how the system will work when the generator will run. Secondly i do not know which type and company generator will work effectively.

Thirdly please guide when the generator will run, will all the load will be born by the generator or the solar will the first priority?
    Please elaborate the working procedure of GT inverter when the generator will run.   
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So you dont need solar at all. All you need is a generator, and a transfer switch.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• BB.
    edited January 2016 #13
    Options
    While I can think of a couple of ways one could combine a genset+GT inverters--I don't know of any off the shelf solutions.

I would suggest you talk with somebody in-country that does make AC inverters, GT Inverters, or Gensets (inverter gensets would be very interesting).

It is very much a control theory type of problem. One way to understand the problem with an analogy:

You have a truck with a relatively inefficient gasoline (petrol) motor. You have ignition+gas peddle+transmission+brakes. Very understandable how to "run" the truck.

Then you add a second, very efficient diesel motor (almost "free" energy for this example). All you (as the driver) can do is turn the motor on/off and use your brakes. And, the advanced assist motor is run by your kids who play with the throttle--They can run it at full power, 1/2 power, or zero output at any time--The peak available power is based on the amount of sun hitting the roof of the truck (more sun, more peak power).

Here you go, driving down the road (up/down hill, crawling through traffic, highway speeds, etc.). And the kids are in the back seat playing with the throttle on the diesel. And you can pass a note back to them once in a while saying 20% power, 100% power, 80% power, oh my g*d--turn the thing off--As you are driving. Quite a problem, is it not?

I can see some interesting solutions--One being feed back based on fuel flow (say you want the genset to have a minimum fuel flow of 2 liters per hour). When the fuel flow exceeds 2 liters per hour, the GT controller is commanded to slowly bring up the solar power until the fuel flow drops to 2 liters per hour (and conversely, as the fuel flow drops below 2 liters per hour, the fuel flow is reduced). And you have a rapid response. If the voltage goes over 240 VAC, the GT inverter cuts back to zero output and waits for the fuel flow to stabilize again.

Note that this does require the genset to run 7 hours per day, and the GT solar would only shave fuel costs, not eliminate them.

SMA makes a GT Inverter that has a "throttle function"--Might be interesting.

That is one example of a "simple" feedback loop the recognizes that the genset need to run with a minimum output power.

Does anyone have something like that today? Not that I know of (again, I am not in the business), but it could be something that does not require a lot of new design/manufacturing efforts.

If you want something that can run your school without the genset running full time--You look for an "off grid" AC inverter that runs the school. And you get a high performance battery bank (high surge current like AGM, Lithium, or some other exoctic like liquid sodium). The battery can short term (say 15-30 minutes) run the AC inverter+school loads, and the solar "charges the Battery bank. And if the loads exceed solar capability, then you start up the genset + AC battery charger to keep the battery bank between 50 to 80% (depending on chemistry). Set the genset for 50% state of charge and the solar for 90% state of charge... The genset charger will minimize fuel usage and when genset demand drops to zero (say battery>80% State of charge), the solar is then capable of supplying 100% of the load without fuel usage.

You might even be able to do with a with an Inverter-charger that has generator support. Need a fair amount of program-ability for the inverter-charger system. Also, the batteries would require a fair amount of investigation as to how large a battery bank you need and how long the batteries would last.

The only difference here is the smaller battery bank (try to keep battery costs down). Otherwise this is how many folks here run their off grid/hybrid power systems today--We just have a battery bank large enough for ~2 days of loads, and 50% maximum discharge. Flooded Cell Lead Acid batteries sort of high internal resistance when compared to AGM/Li Ion/etc. batteries, so a battery bank large enough to sustain high surge loads (well pump for our example, an elevator for your school if I remember correctly). A flooded cell battery bank large enough to support high surge currents tends to also to be large enough to support 1-2 days of "no sun" power (to 50% discharge).

In the end, is this better than a simple AC Backup genst + Utility Power--I am not sure I could make a financial case for it. Batteries are the weakness for any off grid/hybrid power system (expensive, limited life).

Anyway, some quick thoughts on the subject--I am sure that others can think of other solutions.

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options
    I should add here--The collapse in the price of crude oil from >$100 per barrel to <$30 per barrel is going to put an even bigger hit against solar/"green" power. Even at the higher prices of two years ago, Green Power was still not making economic sense--Only political sense.

Add the issues with shipping right now---For example, India banned export of Iron Ore so no bulk freighters coming into port to load up on ore, and no ships available to import raw materials to India (for example Australian coal).

https://theartsmechanical.wordpress.com/2016/01/13/so-whats-happening-in-the-shipping-reports/

And the huge debt is going to hurt too... No elasticity in the business (and government+housing+everything else) market:

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2016/01/what-debt-is-doing-to-world-and-all-of.html

I believe in being aware and prepared--But if things go really bad....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devotions_upon_Emergent_Occasions (No man is an island...)
    No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.[22] [Donne's original spelling and punctuation]
    -Bill
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Options
    love the analogy
  • asadlarik3
    asadlarik3 Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited March 2016 #16
    Options
    you will have to install contactors on grid input of the grid-tie inverter (may be also on the output side of inverter), so when when the grid goes down the contactors break power going in and out of inverters, your inverters will then be isolated. Now you can power on the generator, when the power comes back on, turn off the generator, and then reconnect the inverters.

so if you dont plan to use any batteries, your solar panels wont produce any power during grid outage. in a grid tie system if anytime the power produced by inverters is less than consumed it draws additinal power from grid and if power produced is more than power consumed than this additional power is sent back into grid, this is the answer that you cant send power back to generator if you want to connect grid-tie inverter and generator, it will damage either generator or inverters.

you can use certain hybrid-inverters with generators (only those that specifically mention generator compatibility) buy that will require some batteries and is actually an advanced version of off-grid system.