Suitcase Solar Controller

Options
Hello, all!

I'm interested in a suitcase set-up for a couple of reasons: we do most of our camping in forested/shaded regions where the sun may not be shining where the camper is parked, and I only want to start my solar adventure with a 100W or so set-up. Through my research, it appears that the Renogy 100W suitcase solar set-up will meet my needs.

That being said, the charge controller that Renogy offers with this system isn't waterproof, and does not charge a very discharged (e.g. dead) battery. I'm looking for a good alternative charge controller, and I've found the Midnite Solar Brat. However, I haven't found many testimonials on the company, and none whatsoever on the Brat.

Does anyone have any information on the Brat? Good product, or too new to tell? For the price, it seems awesome, and appears to precisely meet my needs. But I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Welcome to the forum,

Anything from Midnite is high quality and highly recommended.
    wradar said:
    That being said, the charge controller that Renogy offers with this system isn't waterproof, and does not charge a very discharged (e.g. dead) battery.
    If you discharge your batteries to dead, they will have a very short life with any controller.  You should have a LVD (low voltage disconnect) to protect the battery from being discharged too far.  Some controllers have load terminals with a LVD for small DC loads.  For AC loads, make sure your inverter has an adjustable LVD.... the default LVD on most inverters is to protect the inverter, not the battery.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,442 admin
    Options
    Ideally, you really do not want to discharge your lead acid battery below ~11.5 volts average (that is around 50% state of charge under load). Taking batteries to 10.5 volts or lower will, as vtMaps said, usually result in batteries that will only last a few charging cycles before they are pretty much useless.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wradar
    wradar Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited March 2016 #4
    Options
    Thanks, but I probably should have clarified: I'm aware that you shouldn't let batteries get too far below 11.5V, but I'd like to have a solar set-up that could be used in case that ever happened. This would be for a disaster back-up sort of plan, not camping. :)

The Brat advertises its ability to recharge a dead battery, but nothing in its manual details how it does this. All of the discussion about Low Voltage Disconnect settings seems to be with regard to the Load connection, not the what the controller senses from the battery. I've heard that the controller Renogy uses (the EP Solar VS1024BN) will not recharge a dead battery, but I don't see what the difference is between these two controller's capabilities that allows this. Any ideas?
  • papab
    papab Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Options
    I have that renogy setup & installed the CC inside the van.  Works great.  It seems like in the unlikely event that you pull your battery down so low that the CC doesn't work that you could just  hook up the panel direct to the battery for a short time to bring it up. 
  • wradar
    wradar Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Ah, good call. Thanks for the idea!