connecting 2 12v sources to one 12v battery

Options
jrroper
jrroper Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi, i have a wind generator and 2 solar panels going thru a hybrid controler, and a solar panel going thru a solar charge controler,  can or how do i connect  the 2 12 v outputs to one set of batteries,  the reason for 2 charge controlers is the wind/solar has a limit of 600 watts, and the one solar panel i plan to increase the number of solar panels, i want to try to keep from having 2 sets of batteries,   thanks jrroper

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    In general, you run the solar panels through a "series" type PWM or MPPT type solar charge controller. The controller simply "turns on or turns off" the solar panels as needed (of course, there are more details).

A typical wind turbine system would connect the output of the Wind turbine Alternator=>Rectifier=>Battery bank. And you have a second "shunt" type charge controller that turns on when the battery voltage gets too high and dumps power to a resistor bank--The resistors dump waste heat into the air until the winds die down or the loads increase.

There are lots of other ways of doing this--So if you have a link to the hybrid charge controller--That would be a big help.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jrroper
    jrroper Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Bill,  thanks,   i think i understand what you are saying,  as it is now,  i have the 400 watt wind turbine and 2 100 solar panel going thru a hybrid controller,  i have right now  1 100 watt solar panel going thru a seperate controller,  what i am concerned about is can i connect the battery output of both controller to the same battery,  i want to increase the number of solar panels going thru the solar charge controller but i would like to stay away from have 2 sets of batteries