Would a small DIY turbine benefit from MPPT?

JoshK
JoshK Solar Expert Posts: 232 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Wind Power Generation #1
I am building a small wind turbine for fun.  It's 36" on this first try.  I want it to work in low winds.  The motor I chose to use as a generator is rated at 120VDC, 60W.  I highly doubt I will be getting up to the rated RPM in the low winds though.

What I am wondering tonight is should I consider a MPPT charge controller?  Or would the extra load imposed just reduce my RPM to the degree where it's the same as not using MPPT?
I may be building more turbines and feeding the same charge controller.  Maybe.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited February 2016 #2
    There is no "energy" in low speed wind (less than ~10 MPH or so). There is no way to harvest substantially more power in poor (or turbulent) wind conditions with an MPPT controller.

But, yes, a properly designed wind turbine system may see a 2-3x increase in harvested energy vs a standard Alternator->Rectifier->Battery Bank connection. That was Midnite's test results (as I recall reading here a few years ago) when they brought out their integrated wind controller-system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • JoshK
    My idea of low wind is around 12mph, which is about half the MPH they usually rate tubines at.  And 1/2 the wind equates to 1/8th the power I think.  So I should get what I need from 36".  I will know soon.  
    Any suggestions on a good MPPT controller for this  low wattage system?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I don't know enough about the MPPT systems to say much.

Hopefully somebody else can help.

-bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • JoshK
    Alright, thanks for the info Bill.
  • JoshK
    We had a 12mph wind last night to test it with, it was a full success!  
    If anyone knows a cheap MPPT controller, let me know.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    please define "Cheap" ???

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • JoshK
    The least expensive MPPT option that can handle 120v/60W.  I don't know what that price point is.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016 #9
    well I will let you decide if these are in your price range all from our sponsor, some examples... 

Midnite Kid
    http://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-kid-mppt-solar-charge-controller-black.html 

Morning Star, several models  starting at $225
     http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/chco/mochco/admpchco.html

the 120 V DC (?) is a problem... did you mean 12V, I assumed you did

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • JoshK
    edited February 2016 #10
    The first link gives error 404, the second one is good.  Still more power handling than I need.  And a little skimpy on the volts.  I really did mean up to 120VDC.  I chose to high voltage as a way to efficiently transport power over a decent distance with inexpensive wire.  It would take a heck of a wind to get full voltage though.  I hope it never reaches those speeds.  75VDC open circuit is probably the most RPMs I will allow.