adding a pair of panels to existing mppt controller

rosoha
rosoha Registered Users Posts: 11
I bought four 315 watt Kyocera panels from you folks two years ago, and would like to add two more panels to the Midnight Solar 150 volt mppt controller. The 315's are wired in series/parallel.
How closely matched does the open circuit voltage of the added panels have to be to the 315 watt panels, which is 49.2 volts? Kyocera no longer makes this particular panel and the closest I can find is the 325 watt panel you have for sale, but its Voc is 49.7 (as I remember) Is that close enough or does it have to be exact? Also, will the controller handle two more panels if the Voc is close enough? thanks for any help....rosoha

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #2
    rosoha said:
    I bought four 315 watt Kyocera panels from you folks two years ago, and would like to add two more panels to the Midnight Solar 150 volt mppt controller. The 315's are wired in series/parallel.
    How closely matched does the open circuit voltage of the added panels have to be to the 315 watt panels, which is 49.2 volts? Kyocera no longer makes this particular panel and the closest I can find is the 325 watt panel you have for sale, but its Voc is 49.7 (as I remember) Is that close enough or does it have to be exact? Also, will the controller handle two more panels if the Voc is close enough? thanks for any help....rosoha
    Welcome to the forum,

Not enough detail about your system to answer your questions...

Are you planning to make a third string with the two panels (in which case your string voltage stays about the same), or are you planning to add one panel to each of your existing two strings (in which case your string voltage will be nearly 150 volts)? 

Do you have a combiner?

What is your battery voltage?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • rosoha
    Hi there...nice to be here...Just adding another string is what I had hoped to be able to do. I'm a 24 volt system with a trace 4024 inverter. Not really understanding how to figure 'head room' or safety margin with this (or any..ha!) controller. and my original question about Voc. Not sure exactly what you mean by combiner. Each pair of panels has its own breaker immediately behind the panels and then goes to Midnight Solar, if thats what you mean. Thanks for your help....rosoha
  • vtmaps
    The voltages are close enough... just add the third string. 

A combiner box is where the three strings are made parallel.  It is weatherproof and very near the panels.  From the combiner box a single, combined cable runs to the Classic 150 charge controller.  Each string of panels will have its own breaker in the combiner box.  A combiner box is also a great place to put a lightning arrestor. 

The reason I asked about the combiner box is that with only two strings you do not need breakers and a combiner box.  With three strings it is a safety requirement to have a combiner.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • rosoha
    Thanks very much for your help...one more question...can the new set of panels be in a somewhat different location with their own breaker and then sent to the controller where they are paralleled with the other panels?...rosoha
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #6
    As long as they have the proper CB to prevent backfeeding , which is what damages them (PVs), YES. 
    The breakers do not have to be in the same location but them where will you place the combiner? ( the most convenient place to protect and combine, is in one fixture.)
     They can also be in a different orientation (E vs W) than the others as well, like in a virtual array.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • rosoha
    I was under the impression that the Midnight Solar 150 charge controller I'm using had a built in protection against back feeding. Am I mistaken in this assumption?
  • vtmaps
    rosoha said:
    I was under the impression that the Midnight Solar 150 charge controller I'm using had a built in protection against back feeding. Am I mistaken in this assumption?
    The charge controller will prevent backfeeding from the battery to the array.

Westbranch was referring to two strings of panels backfeeding into a third (defective) string.  That's why if you have 3 or more strings in parallel you must have breakers on each string.  When you have only 2 strings you do not need breakers because the current from one string can be handled by the other (defective) string.

--vtMaps
  • rosoha
    OK, cool....everybody gets a breaker...I do have a large diode on my old but trusty Jacobs wind machine to keep it from motoring when there is no wind...but thats another story...thanks to all...rosoha
  • vtmaps
    rosoha said:
    OK, cool....everybody gets a breaker...I do have a large diode on my old but trusty Jacobs wind machine to keep it from motoring when there is no wind...but thats another story...thanks to all...rosoha
    Of course your breakers are DC rated.  Are they polarized?
    (some DC breakers have a line (pos) side and a load (neg) side).

If they are polarized, which way will you wire them?

--vtMaps
  • rosoha
    HA! I think they are polarized and the one between the controller and the batteries I got backasswards and couldn't figure out why it was heating up so much (although the kind folks at NAWS said it should not have made such a difference or got so darn hot). After I melted it down they replaced it for me...(I recommend theses folks). This stuff happens at seat of the pants DIY places like mine....on the bright side, nothing has burned down (yet)...you folks are great..its like going to school...much obliged, as they say in these parts....rosoha

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    DC breakers (current/old style) are generally polarized. They "expect" the current to flow one way through them. And many breakers have a magnet inside of them--The magnet literally "blows" the arc into the arc chute to extinguish the arc. If the current flows "backwards", then the reverse current flow+magnet polarity would "suck" the arc into the interior of the breaker and can cause damage/failure.

So--The next question... you put a breaker in between the solar charge controller and the battery bank. Current normally flows from charge controller to battery (negative ground system). However, the chance for high current flow is a dead short in the wiring/charge controller, and the high current source is the Battery Bank. So, the "+" terminal (may be called Line) should point to the battery bank,a nd the "-" terminal (Load) should point to the charge controller.

Newer breakers (and new NEC/NRTL standards) and defining circuit breakers as "non-polarized" designs, so that they do not have the problem with arc quenching with bi-directional DC current flow.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    BB. said:
    Newer breakers (and new NEC/NRTL standards) and defining circuit breakers as "non-polarized" designs, so that they do not have the problem with arc quenching with bi-directional DC current flow.
    However DC breakers (polarized or not) may be sensitive to their position.  Midnite's non-polarized Panel Mount DC breakers cannot be installed "on their backs", but they can be installed on their sides.   I haven't a clue what might happen to those breakers in zero gravity.

--vtMaps
  • rosoha
    Yeah...zero gravity...you'd have a tough time 'floating' in it methinks....thanks for all the info....and I think BB nailed it, as I had the + line pointed the wrong way, since when I 'flipped' the replacement breaker things have been hunky dory ever since. While we're at it still, I never did get an answer to my original question which was how close does the Voc of another pair of panels have to be to those you are currently running to the mppt controller...curious if there is actually a percentage or number (like 'within 3 volts or something)...just wondering....
  • vtmaps
    rosoha said:
    While we're at it still, I never did get an answer to my original question which was how close does the Voc of another pair of panels have to be to those you are currently running to the mppt controller...curious if there is actually a percentage or number (like 'within 3 volts or something)...just wondering....
    If they are very far apart all sorts of bad things can happen.  If they are within a few percent, you may lose a few percent of the total nameplate power.   The difference between Voc 49.7 and 49.2 probably means that there is about 0.4 volts difference between the Vmp of those panels.... less than a percent difference.  Just do it.  I would draw the line at 5%.  Others would draw it somewhat higher.

What is the Imp of the old and new panels? ... if (and only if) it's much closer than the voltages, here's what I suggest...
    Make up your three strings with one of the new panels in each of two strings.  Thus your Voc of the three strings would be:
    49.2 + 49.2 = 98.4
    49.2 + 49.7 = 98.9
    49.2 + 49.7 = 98.9

rosoha said:
    and I think BB nailed it, as I had the + line pointed the wrong way, since when I 'flipped' the replacement breaker things have been hunky dory ever since.
    You mentioned that the first breaker was oveheating because it was in backwards.  That doesn't sound right, unless there was an overcurrent condition.  When the current is above the breaker's rating, the breaker is supposed to trip and break the current.  If it's in backwards it may fail to do its job.

But if there was no overcurrent, then (for all the breakers I know about) it doesn't matter which way the current is flowing.  The breaker was defective or had a loose connection if it was heating up at less than its rated current.  The most common examples are the breaker between the inverter/charger and the battery... the current goes one way through the breaker when charging, and the other way when discharging.

--vtMaps
  • rosoha
    Thanks: I am going to do it..I was just curious about the numbers....as far as the breaker stuff goes, NAWS would agree with you that even wired backwards it should never have melted down like it did, that maybe it was just defective (they gave me a new one in any case)...anyway thanks for your valuable time in all this...its snowing, I think I should walk the dog...he likes the snow...someday I may ask you about batteries....rosoha
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Look closely at the wires, wire ends, and breaker terminals... I would be with vtMaps on this. There is a reason the breaker melted down, and loose/corroded connections and/or miss-sized wiring would be my first guess.

Secondary issues can include water following the wires into the main panel/breaker ends--And causing internal/bus bar connection corroding. Conduit is really good at carrying water to the electrical panels if you have a leak/no drip loops on exterior wiring entering the conduit/boxes.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rosoha
    I understand what you are saying, and fortunately, there has been no problem since the breaker was replaced...same wires, box, distance, everything. A new breaker (midnite solar MNEPV-63 amp) ,same as the other, inverted, solved whatever the problem was. I have learned more about breakers here than I thought there was possible to know about them...I will certainly ask questions about any that I install in the future...thanks...rosoha
  • rosoha
    Well, after all the sound and fury, NAWS tells me the Kyocera 325's are no longer available...at least not now or for many months to come...sigh...at least I learned a lot from you folks....rosoha
  • arby
    arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited February 2016 #20
    rosoha-- I have a 48 volt system that started out with 4X125 watt 12 volt Kyoceras. To this I added 4X 270 watt 24 volt Sun Techs. I changed the wiring to 72 volts which put the 4 X125 watt panels together with one Sun Tech. I wired the other 3 sun techs in series for another 72 volt feed. Routed all of this through a combiner box and fed it to the CC. So far it works just fine. I have in a package, 6 more 280 watt Sun Techs, which I am going to install this summer and will put all of this at 72 volts nominal through 4 breakers of a 6 breaker combiner box.
     IMO, the CC only knows what it is getting and doesn't ask questions or look for ID's.
    3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.
  • rosoha
    OK, thanks....thats a great idea...just find panels to wire in series close to what I currently have...I'm laughing a bit since it never occurred to me that the 325's were not available (they were on the web site when I started this thread)....my wind generator (an old 2500 watt 32volt 400 lb. monster) is much less fussy about all this stuff....(Mr Jacobs must be smiling)  just hook that machine up to any battery voltage up to 48 (thats all I've done), and it happily charges without complaint...older style tech, of course...still, the simplicity is endearing....thanks for your idea...rosoha