Brown cells

Options
dwyman4
dwyman4 Registered Users Posts: 10
I have Sunpower panels and have 4 panels that are affected with brown/rust cells. Has anyone seen this before?

Comments

• dwyman4
    Options
  • dwyman4
    Options
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Have you measured its output voltage/current/power? A quick check is to use a DC Current Clamp meter (like this Sears unit) to see how the panel performs. If, in full sun, you get less than 1/2 its rated current, you are pretty sure that you have a bad panel (if you have two or more panels, check several under the same sun conditions and see how it compares).

I had panels with a bad junction box and they had coffee/rust colored staining visible through the glass (overheating from below--But easy to miss if you did not look close, was not the cells, but the area between cells that color changed). Had the whole array replaced (over 1/2 the panels had "failed").

On your panel, besides the color change, the appearance of (what looks to be) the back metal starting to show through (don't see it on other cells)--I would certainly be calling the vendor with your questions.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They look like Sunpower "B" modules from that below grade solar store in Miami. You get what you pay for.  Forgive me if I am wrong!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• dwyman4
    Options
    Thank you both for your insight. Sunpower is requesting we have installer out to comparison check against non affected panels. So they are coming out Thurs. I just hoping they back the warranty advertised.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    You are welcome, can you see the back? Are there serial numbers? The "B" 's do not have them BTW.

• dwyman4
    Options
    Thank you Dave.. I was wondering about how to tell if they are 'B"s  They do have serial numbers 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Drove by a county bus repair yard (north bound 101 Palo Alto)--And there are a 1/2 dozen tracking arrays next to the freeway.

Noticed that there are several trackers with 2-3 (roughly) (possibly SunPower) panels with very brown cells (seems the "brown" cells are grouped together towards the middle of the panel (not random or near edges)... Will try to pay closer attention next time I drive by.

I would hold the panel mfg/supplier's feet to the fire--It is probable that this is not a rare problem.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dwyman4
    Options
    Thank you Bill. I would appreciate any further insight to this problem. 
    I had our installer out this past Thurs to determine the validity of the panels affected by the brown cells.We installed in 07 with SPR 205 panels. They concluded that THEY ARE READING BTWN 41-43 VOLTS, AND THE AMPS CAME IN BTWN 4.99 - 5.43. They said that was normal for for panels installed in 07 with natural degradation. They determined that the panels are still producing as they should despite the brown cells. I am waiting for final answer from SPR if brown cell aesthetics are under panel warranty. They told me this was the first time they have seen this problem and unsure how SPR will handle it. 
  • dwyman4
    Options
  • dwyman4
    Options
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Are these the 41" x 60" 327 watt sunpowers?  If so, you should be seeing 6 amps in perfect sunlight. 6A  x 55V =  330 watts.
    You will have to isolate the brown ones from the good ones to make the current measurement. The installer will do this but you may find that they are good but do not look good. The panels are about the best made on the planet for watts/per square foot with the Panasonic very close.  Let us know what you find out.

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have an old set of Arcos presumably recycled from a solar farm in Arizona around 1994. They were brown when I got them in 94 and are still brown now. And working fine as far as I can see.

I'd be more concerned about the panel output than the cell colour.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • dwyman4
    Options
    I went up on roof yesterday and ran my hand from unaffected cells to brown cells. The surface temp on the brown cell was extremely hot. I couldn't even keep my finger on it. Obviously overheating. I am worried it will catch fire its so hot. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    What did the installer say?   I would send a registered letter to him about the heat and make sure you are covered for a solar caused fire by your insurance.

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks concerning. That orange cell, is it touching the cell to its right?
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• dwyman4
    Options
    Sunpower agreed that the panels were overheating and wanted to be proactive and replace all the panels not just the infected ones. 
    I am very happy with their decision to replace the full array. I think the liability of serious overheating and possible fire expedited a speedy response.  Thank you for your concern and advice. Looking forward to a sunny 2016 now.