Genasun 10 amp 14.2v LiFePO4 MPPT charge controller.

oil pan 4
oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I use this charger controller daily to charge an AGM battery with 90 watts from "12 volt panels" wired in parallel. Eventually I will use it on LiFePO4 batteries. So if you are like me, have a small setup running lead acid battery, plan to run LiFePO4 later on this is the charge controller for you.

Its small, light and under $200.

While its charging it appear to be completely silent.

I have calculated efficiencies as high as 97.5% so it is a real MPPT controller. I am very happy with this piece of equipment.

Genasun also makes a 5 amp charge controller for about half the price.

The only place I was able to find it was on battery space dot com.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

Comments

• PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure that using the GV-10 lithium 14.2v model is appropriate for most agm's.

The absorb voltage of 14.2v designed for LFP is too low for many agm's, and only applicable for most gels.  To make matters worse, there is no temperature-compensation as you would see in the Pb specific models, so cold weather charging an agm from it would be even worse.  Voltage is low and you run out of solar insolation faster at those low voltages for absorb.

It doesn't have a 2.5h absorb time limitation like the Pb models, so that is good, but the voltage is just too low for most agm's which want to see 14.4v.  Optimas and Odysseys charged at 14.2v will walk down in capacity quickly.

Speaking of which, note that the PB versions have a "sealed" setting with only a 14.3v bulk, with 14.1v absorb.  That is a tad low for agm in a cyclic application.  Top that off with a 2.5h absorb timeout, and unless you plan right, you could be walking down your agm's along with not ever getting a good absorb done in time.

But wait - there's the flooded setting, with a 14.5v bulk, and a 14.4v absorb which is much more appropriate for agm with cyclic solar.  HOWEVER, every 30 days there is an EQ of sorts to 15v, which only Optima and Odyssey spec out as their top end.  Lesser agm's may not like that 15v eq, so be careful.

Interestingly, I note that Genasun likes you to connect the panel first, and the battery last, unlike most other controllers.  It was interesting to see this in the GV10 manual.

I'm just saying that if you choose a Genasun, choose *carefully* for your intended use (float / cyclic), and battery chemistry, taking note that a flooded setting will do a 30 day 15v eq, which you want to make sure your agm is ok with.

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I got genasun to use with LiFePO4 but have not moved my LiFePO4 battery over yet.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.