Microtek UPS problems

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Need help on inverter/charger.
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• janmajay
    janmajay Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hello All,

i m using hybrid inverter : Model details: MICROTEK : UPS –SS 1660. However using the model as complete off gird . Does it have any risks ? 

After 3 months of successful usage as off grid following problems are observed in the inverter 

A) No Output from inverter.B)Current in both positive and negative terminals of inverter output. C)When joined to PV string, the inverter is getting overheated.Can someone suggest , possible root cause for the problem.

Rgds, Janmajay

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like the whole thing is fried.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Janmajay,

Is this the system?

http://www.microtekdirect.com/1660solars/

I could not find much technical information on that website...

If it did work before, and fails now--Then it just may be an early life failure.

If--However, your initial installation was not to specifications (for example, Solar Array Voltage Vmp/Vmax is too high)--Then it is possible that the few months of "good operation" were at too high of temperature (and/or voltage) and cause early life failure of some components.

And, another reason that I question of getting a "multi-function" device (solar charge controller, battery charger, AC inverter, etc.). If one thing fails, then the whole unit fails.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset