6V golf cart batteries

dyuhas
dyuhas Registered Users Posts: 1
When I combine 2 6V batteries I get 12V.  Do I also get twice the amperage of a single battery?

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, in series (connecting the positive of one to the negative of the other) the amperage remains the same and the voltage increases.

In essence you are just building a bigger battery, a 6 volt battery is really 3 - 2 volt cells hooked up in series, your just making a battery with 6 cells.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • soylentgreen
    soylentgreen Solar Expert Posts: 111 ✭✭
    It's not 100% clear to me what the OP was asking, so I could see two possible answers:

"No":  Two 6V golf cart batteries, each, say with 220 Amp Hours, wired in Series, will give you 220 Amp Hours (at 12V).

"Yes" : Two 6V golf cart batteries will give you a hell of a lot more amp hours than a single 12V battery of similar size (as these  tend to max out at about 100 Amp Hours).

• Sixpack99
    Sixpack99 Registered Users Posts: 1
    actually watts / voltage = amps :)
    Outback FXR3648A in Grid-Tie mode;  48v @ 215Ah for emergency backup;  400 watts of Renogy Mono PV (soon to be replaced)
  • soylentgreen
    soylentgreen Solar Expert Posts: 111 ✭✭
    "voltage times watts = amps"  - nope.     Dimensional analysis to the rescue!

Let's see if I can get this right - it's been a while since I had this in school.
    • Volts = Potential Energy/Charge = N*m/C = kg*m2/(A*s3)
    • Amps = Charge / Time = 1C/s
    • Watts = J/S = N*m/S = (kg*m2)/s3
    So, in the example above:

"voltage times watts" = (kg*m2)/(A*s3) * (kg*m2)/s3 = (kg2*m4)/(a*s6)  : not what we want.

Instead if you look at power (watts), does it equal VA?

Watts = (kg*m2)/s3  = VA  ?

Let's look at VA

VA =  V * A = (kg*m2)/(A*s3)  *  (C/s)
       =  kg*m2*C/(A*s3)

Substituting in that we know 1A = 1C/s we get

=  kg*m2*(A/S)/(A*s3)

And the A's and one of the S's cancel out, leaving us with

VA = (kg*m2)/s3

e.g, the definition of Power in Watts.

• rcmatt007
    rcmatt007 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Sixpack99 said:
    actually watts / voltage = amps :)

opps, you are right in any case, by doubling the voltage you can double the watts and still have the same amps
    I like to tinker... 5 and a half running motorcycles and a pile O'parts

-Rodger-