Is it necessary to run a refrigerator 24/7.....

2»

Comments

• 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    "Isn't it just going to use up as much or more power during the day to make up for the temp loss overnight?  My freezer works harder when I put stuff in it as opposed to when it just maintains a temp."

Technically, yes.

But only if batteries are 100% efficient. Chilling the contents of the fridge during sunlight has less loss than pulling from the batteries at night and replacing it the next day. By adding gallons of water as a thermal battery, it help keep the fridge cold.  I believe that water is a more efficient thermal battery than the lead acid ones are for electricity.

When you're on the grid, these tiny differences in efficiency don't amount to much. When you're on batteries, you'll look for efficiencies wherever you can get them.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    I second that - if you want to maximize time that it can stay cold without power, fill up all unused space with water jugs.  The freezer can use salt water.   And set the temp lower.  Water storage is better than lead acid storage, even if you use more watt hours.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development