Trimetric CC Install question

Options
ROXY6997
ROXY6997 Registered Users Posts: 6

I am considering splurging and installing the Trimetric 2030A (battery monitor) and SC2030 in my teardrop trailer, but I had a couple of quick questions regarding installation location.  I have always been under the impression that the charge controller needed to be near the battery to allow for proper battery measure and to reduce voltage drop due to the close location to the battery.  In the manual, Trimetric says… The SC-2030 charger is usually located near the batteries, but may be located anywhere between panels and batteries when being controlled by the TM-2030 since it is monitoring the exact battery voltage and can compensate for some voltage drop in the wires.

If I mount the charge controller in the galley, it will be about 10 feet from the battery (give or take).  Ordinarily, I don’t like the idea of being this far from the battery, but since Trimetric says it will work and the charge controller runs in conjunction with the battery monitor, I think it might work okay.  If I run an 8 gauge line from the charge controller to the battery (with a fuse), would this be sufficient? 

Secondly, if I mount the SC-2030 in the galley, I would like to do a plug-in for the portable panels.  Do you have any ideas for this?  I have seen people install a Perko marine outlet on the exterior and wire the portable panel for the plug.  Alternatively, I would be happy with a hole that I can plug when it’s not in use and just pull the wire through and plug into an Anderson plug of the charge controller in the galley.  I am open to suggestions here!

I could mount the charge controller (SC-2030) in the tongue box with the battery, but I would then need to direct vent the battery from the battery box via tubes and I am still not sure it’s the best idea.

Also, before anyone asks, I don’t want the electronics in the cabin because the cabin literally just fits a mattress…I don’t want to bump them or the wiring and I don’t like the way it looks aesthetically.

I think this is my last question to finalize my plans!  Thanks to everyone for the help!

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ROXY6997 said:

If I mount the charge controller in the galley, it will be about 10 feet from the battery (give or take).  Ordinarily, I don’t like the idea of being this far from the battery, but since Trimetric says it will work and the charge controller runs in conjunction with the battery monitor, I think it might work okay.  If I run an 8 gauge line from the charge controller to the battery (with a fuse), would this be sufficient?

The trimetric (and also a few others) uses battery sense wires so the controller can compensate for voltage drop.  Its a good thing :)

As for whether 8 gauge wire is sufficient, that depends on the current and the length of the wire.  If you were putting 30 amps into the battery at 12 volts through 10 ft (one way) of #8 cable, you would have a voltage drop of about 3%.  That won't be a problem.  By the way, how many watts of panels will you have?  You would need almost 500 watts of panels to get 30 amps into the battery

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ROXY6997
    ROXY6997 Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options
    Awesome.  Thank you.  I plan to run 100-120W now, but may up that in the future, which is why I wanted to use a larger gauge wiring now.  I probably won't ever go above 200W in panels for my needs though, so I will never hit the 30 amps.  I am still looking into the panels, so I haven't figured out what to buy. The controller can handle way more amps than I need, but I like the trimetric unit as a whole.  It's certainly overkill for my small set-up!