Anyone did business with them before?

I am a newbie to solar. In my search for Arizona companies I have come up with three.
1.) Wind Sun
2.) Value Solar
3.) Solatron
4.) American PV

Value Solar is a division of Solatron Technologies.

Can anyone share experiences of working with the above companies including wind/sun such as prices/ customer service etc?

Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: Anyone did business with them before?

Wind-Sun owns this forum...

I am in California, so I have not dealt with Wind-Sun--but from what I have read here before--make sure you contact Wind-Sun's store directly (phone or email) instead of through this forum (which they do not monitor for customer issues).

Asking about the other dealers here is probably pushing the envelope of our host here--Wind-Sun or one of our moderators can probably let us know how far they would like this thread to go....

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭

Wind and Sun, yes, I got something from them. No trouble. To be fair, this didn't require any special handling by them, or technical expertise. They host this forum, of course, and are clearly quite knowledgeable, both here, and in posts on the internet at large.

If Value is a susidiary of Solatron, I'd consider them the same. I got a kit from them. Big ticket-item, and fair price. However, there was a minor problem with the parts list - given the wire and connectors provided, it appeared that the panels should have been wired as 1 string of 18, which would have exceeded the inverter spec. When I called, they apologized, and sent me parts so that I could wire as 2 x 9. The wire supplied with the kit was not heavy enough to support the currents carried, when in conduit (I failed inspection), but that could have been considered my fault for putting it in conduit in the first place. If free air, I would have passed. There were no instructions with the kit - it's assumed that you know what you're doing. There was a few weeks delay in getting the mounting system - attributed to delays at the manufacturer - but that tells me that they don't keep deep stock in a warehouse. They filled out the paperwork for the state rebate, but there was a typo on it that would have cost me about $40. I was able to correct it with the state. They were always courteous. Overall, I was satisfied. By the way, I'm in California.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi SolarN ..

YES, have dealt quite a bit N AZ Wind/Sun. When you call them, a HUMAN answers the phone, and those that I have dealt with seemed knowledgable, friendly and patient.

They do have a good selection in breadth and depth.

Most often, now, am just getting giblets and smaller items, but they seem to fill orders efficiently, and if somehing is on back order, usually they let me know at the time of order.

Any business that hosts an open Forum is not trying to hide anything, in opinion.

Would highly recomment Northern Arizona Wind & Sun. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

I've done occasional business with NAWS. While I find their selection range to be very good, and their prices to be quite competitive, their shipping performance has been spotty. For example, I ordered a pair of Sharp 123 W modules on August 29. The modules' availability is described as "Usually ships the next day". My new modules were in stock when I placed my order, but, although my credit card was charged on Aug. 29, the modules weren't shipped until September 6.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i too have only dealt with naws in arizona and the pricing you can check out here:
    http://store.solar-electric.com/
    you will have to research the prices of the others on your own for i don't know what their prices are, nor do i know how their service is.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    crewzer wrote: »
    I've done occasional business with NAWS. While I find their selection range to be very good, and their prices to be quite competitive, their shipping performance has been spotty. For example, I ordered a pair of Sharp 123 W modules on August 29. The modules' availability is described as "Usually ships the next day". My new modules were in stock when I placed my order, but, although my credit card was charged on Aug. 29, the modules weren't shipped until September 6.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer

You caught us just at the time when we were down to our last Sharp 123 in stock. We have some "issues" with the Sharp warranty (it does not cover use on marine or RV's) and have been upgrading people where possible to the new Mitsubishi 125, so lately are only stocking 20-30 of the Sharps.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

hmmm... my original Aug 29 online order was for a pair of Kyocera 130s, but they were out of stock at the time, so Sharp 123's, specifically described by NAWS as in-stock on Aug. 29, were specifically suggested via telephone as an alternative. Based on that information, I changed my order from the Kyoceras to the Sharps.

So, there were two problems, in my view. One is that the merchandise did not ship on the date promised (August 30 or 31), and NAWS did not contact me to advise me of the delay and ask if I wanted to change or cancel my order. This is a requirement of the FTC's Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule.

Two, I don't like having my credit card charged for mechandise/services before they're shipped/delivered.

On the plus side, I was asked about my application, and the marine/RV "non-warranty" issue was explained to me...

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Windsun

The Mitsubishi's became available at just about the time that a price increase came along on the Sharps. This was kind of a last minute thing.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks for the information. It looks like Value Solar has the best price right now. They have mitsubishi 165 watt panels for $750 or 6 or more is $709. Also they have the kyrocera 130 watt panels for $609. They SAY that the reason their prices are low is a result of buying full containers from Mitsubishi. I am sure how all that works....but thanks for all the information :)
    I am aiming to get away from the BIG buisness electric companies, especially with dealing with APS !!!
  • Windsun

I assume you are aware that the 165 was discontinued by the manufacturer about 9 months ago?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Yes, I just comfirmed that they will be buying 165 watt through the end of the year. After that, they will move to the 170 or 180 watt panels.