honda eu3000i auto start from inverter

Options
elesaver
elesaver Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
I'd like to wire a honda eu3000i into an outback mate and an outback VFX 3524 for auto start when the battery falls below set points. The atkinson mini has been recommended. Knowing there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat, are there other products that can do the same thing but are not quite as pricey? Sometimes saving a few dollars is not the best decision but on other occasions, it works out fine. One of the issues is actually getting this wired properly but with diligence of studying the instructions and perhaps guidance from those who are skilled on this board, I could probably do it. The atkinson product may have better instructions than the others. Thanks for any info.
1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi ele ..,

So, is it safe to assume that you have a Honda EU3000 that runs on LP (Propane), or that you have made some AutoChoke addition?

My EU3000s still need choking on a warm restart. Am not sure that mine would ever start without Choking when cool/cold.

Perhaps I've missed some things. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • elesaver
    Options
    No, Vic, this honda is a gasoline model. I had read some things about the choke issue for a cold start. I'll have to check to see what the atkinson can do. Somehow, I thought that I had read it really worked for this model. But, then again, that's one of the reasons for posting my original question. Thanks for the alert on this potential problem.
    1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FWIW, a neighbor uses AutoStart on a similar Yamaha Inverter genset. -- it is a 2800 something in the model number. The installer of that system noted, that if one Cranks long enough on that genset, it will eventually start, and run EDIT: without choking<. That AutoStart controller is set to do just that --crank, crank, and crank ...

Have been unwilling to crank and crank the EU3000, to see if that is the case with the Honda, as well.

Others may have direct experience.

As an aside, have wondered about trying to try to start an EU3000 on propane, and still run it on gasoline. This seems a bit redundant, but one would not really need an LP carburetor (sometimes called a mixer), just a solenoid valve, adjustable orifice, and a small supply of LP (with a regulator), and so on.

Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • elesaver
    Options
    As an aside, have wondered about trying to try to start an EU3000 on propane, and still run it on gasoline. This seems a bit redundant, but one would not really need an LP carburetor (sometimes called a mixer), just a solenoid valve, adjustable orifice, and a small supply of LP (with a regulator), and so on.

"Too far above my paygrade," Vic. I will be doing well to either wire the eu3000i directly to the inverter and use manual start up or to wire the atkinson gen starter! Life is good. :-)

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    The Honda em4000sx (make sure it is the "sx") is supposed to have an engine computer that does the mixture control--No manual/automatic choke.

Costco is also selling a gasoline/propane genset that does not need (I think) a manual choke control.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Costco is also selling a gasoline/propane genset that does not need (I think) a manual choke control.

-Bill
    But make sure you have a way to keep your propane tank warm!!!
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • elesaver
    Options
    Good to know about these other kinds of generators. Working with solar is like having a boat. How, you say? A boat is a hole in the water your pour money into. :-) At this point in time, rather than get another generator, I'll just have to manually work with it. I don't expect to need to have this thing running very often, so we'll say. I may need to change my tune. Thanks for the input on the new gens, though.

• elesaver
    Options
    OK, now I'm on to somethin'. Here's a link to a product to create an automatic choke on the honda eu3000is so it can be used in solar backups. I watched the installation video (which I thought was well done) and it seems pretty simple to do although it would take a bit of time. It would be a lot less expensive than getting a new generator, that's for sure. Here's the link if others want to check it out:

http://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com/view/HEUAUTOCHOKE/