The New Amish? Getting solar savvy?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
I like the Amish for several reasons. Many people do. They aren't generally known for being tech savvy. So I was surprised when a friend recommended that I call the Amish for possible help with my forklift battery project.

The first guy had recently bought solar batteries off of the internet and put them in his basement. The second guy had recently purchased a used forklift battery for solar and knew how to replace bad cells.

I have dealt with these guys. They are sharp at business....

I thought the Amish were not supposed to have electricity inside their households.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    The Amish do not use electricity from a public power grid as they believe too much reliance on public power brings them too close to worldly influences and ideas which may run counter to their beliefs. That's it in a nutshell or at least what I have been led to believe. There are all sorts of exceptions, some for medical devices. But I believe they mostly use propane refrigerators... not sure how that is less worldly than electric. It is more complicated than that I guess....
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at it that way....makes perfect sense for them to be solar pros. I thought they had a thing about indoor electricity.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries