4 Panels In Series and then Parallel

svencool
svencool Registered Users Posts: 6
I have a question, I have 4 panels and I want to strings in series and then paralleled in the end. So Do I take the pos and neg from 2 panels and hook them together? Then do the same for the other set of panels. Then Do I take the positives and negatives from each string and hook them together with Branch connectors and then hook up to my lines going to my charge controller?

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have two strings of two panels then mc4 y connectors is acceptable. However i like most people found that you will eventually and inevitably end up putting in a combiner. It just makes servicing so much easier, because it allows you to deenergise the homerun cable.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• svencool
    zoneblue wrote: »
    If you have two strings of two panels then mc4 y connectors is acceptable. However i like most people found that you will eventually and inevitably end up putting in a combiner. It just makes servicing so much easier, because it allows you to deenergise the homerun cable.

Yes that is the next step and it steps up my effeciency also. But for now I was wanting to know if I had them hooked up right?

Mike :)
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    svencool wrote: »
    Yes that is the next step and it steps up my effeciency also. But for now I was wanting to know if I had them hooked up right?

Your wiring description sounds OK to me. I don't see how a combiner will step up your efficiency. But a combiner is a wonderful thing, and is even better than zoneblue indicates... it is a good place to put a lightning arrester, and it is useful to be able to switch on or off the individual strings with the circuit breakers.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • svencool
    vtmaps wrote: »

I don't see how a combiner will step up your efficiency.

--vtMaps

The guy at Renogy was saying my voltage loss using the branch connectors in this type setup was 0.8 and going straight to the combiner box it would be 0.4 does that sound right?

Mike
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    svencool wrote: »

The guy at Renogy was saying my voltage loss using the branch connectors in this type setup was 0.8 and going straight to the combiner box it would be 0.4 does that sound right?

Mike

Maybe, if your combiner was at the panels and you would run heavier wire from there to your charge controller.

You might want a breaker ahead of your charge controller as well.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.