Conext SW4024 with 120v generator

hammick
hammick Registered Users Posts: 3
I'm new to this forum. I am planning a system using the Conext SW4024 (more likely a 48v system with the SW4048 ) inverter. We are off grid in Montana with no power and no possibility of power in the future. My biggest load will be a 230v well pump with soft start (my contractors are easily running the pump with a Honda EG3500)

My generator is a Yamaha EF2400is inverter. It's only 120v output. I know I can feed one leg of the SW4024 (or 4048 ) with the generator. What isn't clear to me is how the inverter works with only one 120v leg feeding the generator. Does it step up the 120v to 240v and allow the generator to assist 240v loads? Or is load sharing only available if I use a 240v generator?

Thanks for any insight on this.

I plan to use only a 208ah battery bank (GC2 6v batteries). An an 1,100 watt solar array. I'm hesitant to install high dollar batteries when the place will be vacant for so long. My CC will be a Xantrax XWMTTP-60. I also don't want to jump the gun on a high dollar generator without seeing how my Yamaha performs with the 4024. I do have a 7000w generator with a Honda GX engine but it is loud, heavy and sucks gas.

I'm assuming with a 48v 208ah battery bank the inverter won't have reduced load output, just charging. I'll have to call Schneider and ask.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    hammick wrote: »

My generator is a Yamaha EF2400is inverter. It's only 120v output. I know I can feed one leg of the SW4024 (or 4048 ) with the generator. What isn't clear to me is how the inverter works with only one 120v leg feeding the generator. Does it step up the 120v to 240v and allow the generator to assist 240v loads? Or is load sharing only available if I use a 240v generator?

Thanks for any insight on this.

Before you buy one I'd contact Schneider tech line and make sure of the requirements . The only split phase 240V output Inverter I know of that will accept 120v single phase input to charge is the Magnum Inverters. The Installation manual makes no distinction in most places other in one place where it says "AC Input Split Phase ". The wiring diagrams all show 240v split phase input. By listing is as 120/240 single/split phase output one would assume that 1) the phases can balance themselves to the load if 120v single phase is used. 2) that each phase is synced for 240v split phase output if it is used. Confusing at best !!!

It's little sister the SW 3012 only has 120v input and output, but it has L1 / L2 and it's used as 2 separate inputs and outputs not phased or balanced.

• Wulfman
    Wulfman Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    The SW4024 Requires 240 volts for the charger to function. the AC input does not use the neutral for charging.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    The Yamaha EF2400is should be able to saturate a 3-4 kw auto transformer to give you 240v for input, if thats what it needs. You can cut back the charger output and ACin breaker and make it work.
  • hammick
    Thanks guys. I called Schneider and they told me that it would take a 120v generator input and output 240v balanced on both legs. The tech did say the charging output would be halved.

When I got a quote for an Outback Radian 48v inverter the installer also said it would take a 120v generator input and charge.

Hoping to hear from someone with a Conext SW inverter that has actually used a 120v generator. My Yamaha inverter purrs like a kitten and uses very little fuel. I'd hate to get rid of it.

UPDATE: Found this Certificate of Compliance with respect to 120v input.

http://41j5tc3akbrn3uezx5av0jj1bgm.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/conext-sw-4024-and-2524-certificate-of-compliance-dqd-507-rev-2012-05-22_eng.pdf

"Note: The inverter/charger, model CSW4024, may be connected to 120V single phase operation with reduced power rating to 1700W, 1700VA continuous, 2000VA for 30 minutes (inverter mode) and 20-32V dc, 24V dc nominal, 45A maximum continuous (charger mode)"
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet, that's a new feature. My XW requires 240VAC to charge/pass thru/qualify I made a autotransformer from a beefy step-up transformer and my Honeywell 2Kw inverter genset ran it just fine.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• hammick
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Sweet, that's a new feature. My XW requires 240VAC to charge/pass thru/qualify I made a autotransformer from a beefy step-up transformer and my Honeywell 2Kw inverter genset ran it just fine.

See this FAQ: http://solar.schneider-electric.com/faq/
  • williesnake
    williesnake Registered Users Posts: 1
    I have the same model sw4024. And i am using a ryobi 2300. I connect it in 120v and it works awsome. This inverter can work either way 120 or 240 i called schneider to confirm . So it is safe and it works prettwell
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Do you have a a good idea of your energy usage per day/by season? (Watt*Hours/kWatt*Hours per day).

What major city is near your place (hours of sun per day)?

Enough snow to make it worth while to tilt near vertical (mounted well off of the ground) to shed snow in winter? Can you put 1/2 the panels facing SE and the other 1/2 facing SW (gives you more "hours of sun" per day to recharge lead acid batteries--They like time on charge--Absorb stage at the cost of a few more panels--Virtual tracking vs "real" trackers).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill, is this the right thread? :)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Planing s system....
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset