Forum Disaster

Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
So, after 3 months absence I look in and what do I see?
1). Not one single problem with the new software has been fixed. NAWS should be suing vBulletin by now.
2). The forum organization is a mess, no doubt due to all the software problems which make moderating it nearly impossible.
3). Wrong, dangerous, and just plain stupid answers abound. This is physics, people; not a matter for differing opinions.
4). The addition of a new section of subheadings which adds nothing but further confusion.

Way to kill the forum guys. This explains why traffic is down so much.

Comments

• firerescue712
    firerescue712 Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Welcome back, Coot. It wasn't the same with you gone.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    I particular wish that there was still a button to go the oldest unread post in a thread.
    And the "new look" seems more of a waste of space than an improvement. I have not tried it on a mobile device yet.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back coot! Thought with your old age you were probably 6feet deep by now! Good to see you're still around with your plethora of wisdom!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    inetdog wrote: »
    I particular wish that there was still a button to go the oldest unread post in a thread.
    And the "new look" seems more of a waste of space than an improvement. I have not tried it on a mobile device yet.

idog,

If I understand your question correctly... There are two "buttons" that you can use. One button goes to the first unread post, and the second goes to the last unread post.
    Attachment not found.

The Blue Circle double down arrow on the left is the "First Unread Post".

The Blue Rectangle double right arrow on the right is the "Last Post in Thread".

Those buttons have been there for many years... The forum software changes did not affect those. And, as far as I have seen, those buttons are on the "mobile version" of the site too.

Is that what you needed?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear the "OLD COOT" is still kickin'...... Welcome back

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »

idog,

If I understand your question correctly... There are two "buttons" that you can use. One button goes to the first unread post, and the second goes to the last unread post.
    Attachment not found.

The Blue Circle double down arrow on the left is the "First Unread Post".

The Blue Rectangle double right arrow on the right is the "Last Post in Thread".

Those buttons have been there for many years... The forum software changes did not affect those. And, as far as I have seen, those buttons are on the "mobile version" of the site too.

Is that what you needed?

-Bill

I was used to the option being on whatever page of the thread was opened. Did not ever even notice the tiny buttons.
    Thanks.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Coot
    I agree the forum is a disaster. I do not requent hardly at all. Old one suited me fine. solarvic
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    to add to this disaster, it seems bb banned coot for expressing his dislikes about repeated nonsense posts and threads, not to mention the lousy forum software. way to go bill as you gave coot consideration 0. so much for wisdom, length of membership time, number of posts, warnings, etc.. as coot stated, this is not a social forum to entertain repeat posts of nonexistent items because of some having business interests in it as it is about viable solar products based on science and electronics. although i did not read what bb supposed deleted of coots, i feel this to be unfair to him when considerations are given to those that post idiotic nonsense repeatedly. you won't have to ban me bill. goodbye.

i have to add bill that he isn't fishing like you stated under his username as you put him out to pasture permanently. i guess you figured others wouldn't like what you've done.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a nice day! Go outside and look at the sky or something! Buy a beer for a homeless person. Help a kid play baseball.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    to add to this disaster, it seems bb banned coot for expressing his dislikes about repeated nonsense posts and threads, not to mention the lousy forum software.

I must acknowledge Cariboocoot's many contributions to this forum... it's too bad that he stopped making those positive contributions. Since the forum software update (=downgrade) I have only seen his crankiness... I haven't seen much in the way of contributions. When he was a moderator, he banned at least a few folks for the same sort of behavior that he has been showing lately.

It really is too bad... I will miss him and you too, Niel. Cariboocoot has become a bit cranky, but I have a thick skin and am willing to tolerate just about anyone who I can learn from... and I have learned quite a bit from both of you.

I would encourage you to remember why you came here in the first place... to learn and to help others, and I would encourage you to continue doing so.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    Yes... You are correct Niel. I too respect the work that Marc did on the forum and for the members over the years. I really have nothing else to say.

NAWS (David and Rick) are in the process of moving the forum to the Vanilla forum software. I do not know the details but it should be a matter of a few days to weeks (plus or minus).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »

i have to add bill that he isn't fishing like you stated under his username as you put him out to pasture permanently. i guess you figured others wouldn't like what you've done.

I don't think that is being fair to Bill, unless you know details that I don't. I don't know what else may have transpired, or if the folks who own this board had anything to do with the behind the scenes happening. But what do I know?

Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • BB.
    Thank you. But please don't speculate.

I am not perfect. And I don't see any need to make this a public discussion.

-Bill
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »

I must acknowledge Cariboocoot's many contributions to this forum... it's too bad that he stopped making those positive contributions. Since the forum software update (=downgrade) I have only seen his crankiness... I haven't seen much in the way of contributions. When he was a moderator, he banned at least a few folks for the same sort of behavior that he has been showing lately.

It really is too bad... I will miss him and you too, Niel. Cariboocoot has become a bit cranky, but I have a thick skin and am willing to tolerate just about anyone who I can learn from... and I have learned quite a bit from both of you.

I would encourage you to remember why you came here in the first place... to learn and to help others, and I would encourage you to continue doing so.

--vtMaps

I just want to say I agree with vtmaps completely. I don't post here much these days but I do check in regularly to read posts.From what I've seen, the forum change has been dramatic and for the worse but 'coot's crankiness has also been notable. Yes, I too will miss his and Niel's contributions and am sorry to see them go.

Looking forward to see improvements in the forum software.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a perfectly useable, thriving forum, turned into this current mess of an "upgrade". I'm cranky too.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    No one planned on the upgrade being such a problem... Some of the changes were for security and support issues.

Hopefully, the next software vendor will be able to address these issues (and there will probably be some teething problems too :cry:).

-Bill
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    mike95490 wrote: »
    I'm cranky too.

We need to remember the words of the philosopher R. King, "Can we all just get along."

And even a "cranky" mike95490 or Cariboocoot is better than no mike95490 or Cariboocoot.

And a "cranky" BB? Well, I just don't think that's possible. :D