XW grid support/ load shave confusion?????

new2PV
new2PV Solar Expert Posts: 305 ✭✭
According to the manual it says to set the load shave amps to the main breaker size setting. If you had a 60 amp breaker and set the load shave to 60 amps, then load shaving would never happen below 60 amps? Totally eliminating the purpose of this feature. Or am I reading this wrong?
Next why would we want to limit the current to the charger, when the charger is blocked anyway during load shave? Attachment not found.
XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    As I read this--Load Shave means that the AC inverter supplies most of the power when LS is on and time is correct. And supplies most of the power until the timer kicks off and/or the batteries are discharged to LBCO.

The Load Shave Amps may also come into play if outside the window (like generator support).

I would guess this is for people like me that have Time of Use billing. We pay $0.30 per kWH for noon to 6pm power. I would turn on L.S. for noon to 6pm to keep my power bill low (if I did not have net metering agreement with the utility).

Load Shave Amps is for times when the AC branch circuit is sized smaller than the AC inverter's capabilities and possible loads (for example a large well pump is connected to the inverter's AC output).

Anyway, my guess at reading the spec.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • new2PV
    new2PV Solar Expert Posts: 305 ✭✭
    I got an email from Schneider and they said its the max amps drawn from the grid before load shave kicks in, so it makes sense to me NOT to set the load shave amps to MAX grid breaker size! Ex, load 15 amps, load shave set to 5 amps, this means the load takes 5 amps from the grid and 10 amps from the batteries..
    XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array
  • MGar
    MGar Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭
    new2PV wrote: »
    I got an email from Schneider and they said its the max amps drawn from the grid before load shave kicks in, so it makes sense to me NOT to set the load shave amps to MAX grid breaker size! Ex, load 15 amps, load shave set to 5 amps, this means the load takes 5 amps from the grid and 10 amps from the batteries..

Exactly
    Load shave means "amount of amps from the Grid" or "Power From Grid" Setting it to 60 should be OK as its then 14400 watts input from Grid.
    The book has all the setting info. Most people could just leave it "disabled" or they could be on vacation and have dead battery's...
    So 5 amps is 240*5 or 1200 watts from the Grid. And the rest from system battery
    However setting it at 0 is a problem as it is ~1 amp..