CU200 SQflex Grundfos controler

annieg7
annieg7 Registered Users Posts: 1
I am just about ready to cry. My solar well system has only been in since last fall and already it quit working. I have horses and not a drop of water. The control box has an F3 where the volts are usually at. I don't know what that means, or how to fix it. I remember someone telling me this controller often has problems does anyone know if that's true? I have been onle for hours looking for some trouble shoot guide, or help. IS THERE ANY WAY TO BYPASS THE CONTROLER BOX TO GET THE PUMP RUNNING SO I CAN GET WATER?

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    annieg7 wrote: »
    The control box has an F3 where the volts are usually at. I don't know what that means, or how to fix it.

Welcome to the forum.

According to Grundfos, "F3" means no contact to the pump. Hopefully that is just a bad connection or bad cable. In addition to checking the cable and the connection in the CU200, check the end cover (with socket) on the pump. The F3 fault could also mean a defective CU200 or defective pump.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    annieg7 wrote: »
    IS THERE ANY WAY TO BYPASS THE CONTROLER BOX

I believe so (but have no actual experience with that pump or controller). One thing a controller does is protect the pump from running when the voltage or current is not sufficient.... the pump can be burned out if the voltage or current is not sufficient. If you are sure of your power source, you can give it a try. If a cloud comes by and drops your solar output, you may damage your pump.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    The Grundfos SQLFlex takes a wide range of AC or DC input because it uses a rectifier to get DC and then uses that DC to power an inverter that delivers exactly what voltage and frequency the pump motor needs to use up the available power.
    I do not think that the inverter is in the pump (I may be wrong), but rather in the controller. That means that bypassing the controller is very likely to damage the pump beyond repair, as the pump would want to run on correctly pulsed AC.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    inetdog wrote: »
    The Grundfos SQLFlex takes a wide range of AC or DC input because it uses a rectifier to get DC and then uses that DC to power an inverter that delivers exactly what voltage and frequency the pump motor needs to use up the available power.
    I do not think that the inverter is in the pump (I may be wrong), but rather in the controller. That means that bypassing the controller is very likely to damage the pump beyond repair, as the pump would want to run on correctly pulsed AC.
    The SQF Package has a standard SQ pump inside that runs from AC only. The majority of SQ pumps are 240vac. The SQ pump does have electronics inside for soft starting and detecting that water is there. A few other things also. If this was bought as a package the SQF, then you can feed 240 in to test it without the SQF electronics (you need to disconnect them!!!). The other thing is your well could be dry.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Dave Angelini
    11 days and he is not back and maybe he called the folks that installed the pump. Maybe he did what alot of people in my state are doing and called a water truck.....

The problems I have seen with this controller were from lightning. Another good reason to run a straight type SQ pump at 240VAC or the shallow 120VAC SQ pump.

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    How's your water from heaven doing Dave?
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Dave Angelini
    Hi Don,

We did fine this winter with a last rain in May topping off our 16,000 gallon tanks. The rainfall was about our lowest as we get between 30 and 60 inches a year. After 4 years of drought we had a seasonal total of 15 inches of rain and 1/2 inch of snow.

There is a hurricane heading off the Baja coast that could bring us a shower if we are lucky. You never stop learning and we discovered that there can be 35 gallons in the roof to tank pipes that can condense off the roof some nights up here. We would hear it in the downspout for years. Last year we started saving the first 15 minutes of rainfall in a garden only tank and it really was an eyeopener.

The state is giving people a tank and 2,500 gallons a month and helping with re-drilling for folks. I like the rainwater much more and it always tastes great to drink. It makes great ice cubes for adult beverages.....

You take care and say Hi to Karen !