200 W inverter

Options
I see the local Candian Tire store has some inverters on sale. A 200 W for $30 and a 400 W for around $50. What will these be good for, a light or a small 9 inch TV maybe ?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 200 W inverter

they would be good for anything you would want that doesn't draw more than the inverters can put out and that is not sensitive to modsine waves.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Yes, I use them for some things. Good for CF lighting, electric drills etc., but will not supply the quality of power needed by many electronic items, like chargers for camera batteries, or cordless drills, that kind of thing, and may actually smoke some things with sensitive circuitry.
  • SolarJohn
    SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭
    Options

You might not be able to use a TV or a radio due to streaks in the picture and audio noise. Motors won't run at the right speed, and will overheat. And, like others have said, you may damage sensitive equipment. Why not just spend a little more and get a true sine wave inverter instead? Equipment will run right, and you won't have to worry about damaging your equipment.

John
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Hey Madman, Yes, RF noise from the inverters internal HF switching can cause streaks in the TV picture and a howl on AM radio, but hardly any AM stations left in Nova Scotia anyway. Some setups cause more problems than others. Should nave no problems with most electric drills, as they have universal type motors, but you may find the variable speed control won't work right. Induction motors will buzz and get too hot for their health.
    Good to see someone else on here from NS. I'm located in far northeast mainland NS.
    Wayne
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,445 admin
    Options

Wayne,

Just out of curiosity, what happen to the AM stations in Nova Scotia? FM has low noise, but for covering large areas, AM would seem to be the way to go (other than satellite).

Are the AM formats dying or some other issue(s)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset