Adding panels, Can I add to the grounding ???

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I picked up 4 cheap panels that meet the specs of my current panels. Will add the to the top of my array where I have left the supports extended.

I was wondering if I can use the clamp bolts to add the grounding wire to the existing wire? I have a bunch I have salvaged off telephone pole grounds, I guess this is cool, I think I've always seen them use 2 on each combining with some space in between.

While I'm up there any suggestions about checking the continuity of the other grounding wires to the frame work of the existing panels?
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    The lug and nut bolt solution i started with started to look a bit unsavory after 2 years, so replaced them with these

http://www.solar-electric.com/gbdbtsopagrl.html

They are holding up ok for now. A squirt of noalox wouldnt go astray maybe...
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I was wondering if I can use the clamp bolts to add the grounding wire to the existing wire?

My limited understanding of NEC is that equipment grounding conductors must be continuous, or if there is a splice the spice must be irreversible.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Photowhit
    Zoneblue, That is what I use on the panels, I'm referring to adding the grounding to my existing grounding wire.

vtmaps, I have 2 runs now from the panels joined with my run from my power center at the grounding rod, The power company uses these clamps on their power poles,
    Attachment not found.

figured they would be fine, and I thought I had read something about continuous as well, maybe they consider these to make a continuous bond.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    The continuous bond, as I understand, is to make sure that nobody can disconnect the safety ground wire by unscrewing a bolt/wire nut/etc.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    So do I need to do another continuous wire?

What do I need to do at the grounding rod, restrict access to the clamp?
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    The continuous bond, as I understand, is to make sure that nobody can disconnect the safety ground wire by unscrewing a bolt/wire nut/etc.

-Bill

True and very good to always keep in mind. Offgrid and high up on the array Photowit has an excellent item for making the connection. I doubt a school bus full of 7 year old's with tools will be stopping outside his array. I would verify resistance at the new connection to the GEC and rod at this time.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net