Opinions and information of the Magnum PT-100 MPPT charge controller?

Brlux
Brlux Solar Expert Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
So I see very little information on this new charge controller from Magnum. But from the minimal information I have been able to find it looks interesting 100A output even at 48V, 200V input with a hyperVOC type max VOC of 240V. The displayed information on the device seems limited and I can't find any pricing online? Seem strange that I can't even find information on their own sight about it. I don't have any Magnum equipment but they seem to make good products.

The video was put out in January and the comments were disabled?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVW5NIyjg2M

Comments

• SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Followed the embedded link from the video and they have the spec sheet and show introductory pricing of $899. I can attest they are a good company. My source for solar panels and Iron Ridge racking. Only disclaimer on the is I drive up with enclosed trailer to pick up my orders. They prebuild systems also. Last time I was there they had 6+ classic CC they were prewiring. Sounds like it will work other than having to manually set settings via Dip switches. With today's technology should be all thru network connection. They don't have manuals posted just spec sheet. If the box's in video are full they have or had quite a few of them.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    probably a question directly for NAWS. Anyone heard anything else about these things? Release date? Look like ending amp on absorb is possible with battery monitor.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    animatt wrote: »
    probably a question directly for NAWS.

And this is what NAWS has to say:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/magnum-energy-pt-100-mppt-solar-charge-controller.html
    (click on 'details' for datasheet and manual)

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »

And this is what NAWS has to say:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/magnum-energy-pt-100-mppt-solar-charge-controller.html
    (click on 'details' for datasheet and manual)

--vtMaps
    Looks like sponsor site has the best price on them and manuals to review.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No time for manuals but I hope to use these IF, they can be used with their inverter and all communicate to a display in the home. If not, wow what a waste of a nice medium voltage/high output controller, in my opinion.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• animatt
    I believe with the magnum battery monitor. The charger can end absorb accurately via end amps. Which is nice.
    Also de rating based on batttery voltage or ambient temps seem very positive.
    Atleast by what it written in manual seems like a true 100 amp controller. IT does have 2 internal fans which is understandable at 100amps. I do like passive design when possible.

NAWS responded to my email. "We should have limited stock on the PT-100 by mid July."
  • Saipro
    Saipro Solar Expert Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Seems cool. I'm waiting for reviews. I just might port over. Magnum has a reputation so I'm convinced they're unlikely to toss out junk into the market. That'd be detrimental to the brand name they've tried so hard to exalt.
    Semi off-grid

255W Canadian Solar × 12, 200AH 48V US 185 XC2 bank, Victron Bluesolar MPPT 150/85, Victron CCGX, Victron MultiPlus 48V/5kVA/70A inverter (primary system) Victron Phoenix 48V/375VA inverter (backup for critical loads)

300W Yingli × 2, Midnite Brat, 200AH 24V bank (powers DC LED security lights)

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious if they have had a falling out with Midnite, I believe they have had a close working relationship for years as well as their close proximity to each other, vaguely recall them working with each other in the early years doing high end stereo equipment, though that might be a product of my faulty mind.

Perhaps it's that Midnite has been talking about producing inverters and they have in the past at Outback and W/Trace/Xantrex.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • animatt
    Well I bought the mppt controller. I have it all setup and appears to work fine.  I just have the basics going right now.  Whether more advance controls have issues, well I will find that out in the near future.  I think I have serial number like 27 or 28. So  definitely one of the early production models.

I have an old arc-controller. And it does NOT display charge controller data.  I sent an inquiry to magnum and was hoping to get a response within a few days.  It was a few hours and I was getting feed back.

my personal interaction has been with a darren Massey.  I am super excited about the amount of support they seem to provide.  I was told my system would work fine as is, but if i wanted to send the arc in they would reprogram to the latest software and things would be better integrated. arc would display and program the pt-100.   Apart from that answers and interactions seem to be of high quality,  Someone that knows technicals,  not someone just reading through the manuals. At least Darren has answered some of my technical questions with a high level of precision.

I currently only have 800watts of panels connected to the controller at 48v output.  No surprise as these low power levels there is no fan noise.

Sending arc back this upcoming week for reprogramming.  Later I look forward to testing out the pt100 more extensively. Also plan to use its relay.

anyway that is a very limited update for now.
    right now i am  more excited about tech support than anything else.

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

I'm running a PT-100 controller because it's higher amp capacity at 200 volts fit my 4500 watt system best and left room for one more string of 4 SW280 watt panels which I hope to add in the future.

Since I'm running a Schneider inverter I can't use the Charge controller's advanced controls which means that with my current 4500 watts in strong sun and small 395/amp/hr battery bank I will charge at a C/4.6 rate.     If I add the additional 4 panels I'll be capable of charging at a C.3.7 rate which is a little too strong for my taste.      If I do add the additional panels I'll have to purchase a Magnum control panel to de-rate the charge controller some, that or enlarge my battery bank which is an expensive and not required choice.

The PT-100 does allow some adjustments using dip switches. 

I've only had the system running for a few days but thus far I'm happy with the PT-100.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    foolami said:
    with my current 4500 watts in strong sun and small 395/amp/hr battery bank I will charge at a C/4.6 rate.     If I add the additional 4 panels I'll be capable of charging at a C.3.7 rate which is a little too strong for my taste.   
    That is certainly an issue.  You need the control panel.  What USUALLY happens with extreme over-paneling is that a couple of hours before the sun is high enough to make full power, the batteries are in absorb and will not accept high currents.

Of course, something that is USUALLY safe is not ALWAYS safe, and therefore is not safe.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • WaterWheel

I called to check if I could use the less expensive ME-RC50 controller to de-rate my PT-100 (see previous post).        They did some research and said that I needed the more expensive ME-ARC50 controller to access all of the functions on my PT-100.     I ordered it from NAWS and hope to see it in the next few days.     Thus far I'm very happy with the PT-100.      The only times the fan has come on was when I was equalizing today and when it ran over 55 amps (48v) in strong winter sun.    

Yes, I really need a larger battery bank.      Keep in mind that I've only run the system for 10 weeks (November and Dec) but I rarely drain the bank below 78% overnight and if the next day is super heavy rain I'm still above 58% the second morning.      I'm just an energy Nazi when the sun doesn't shine.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #14
    "With today's technology should be all thru network connection"   I believe this would be vulnerable to hacking. Maybe I am missing something. Maybe the "network" is the inverter/charge controller assembly? The "network" means different things to different people.

But few people get hacked like I do. I think hackers have played with my ADT security console. It beeps almost every day...followed by a phone call. Can no longer set it manually without using the internet. Thats another story.

SkiDoo55 said:
    Followed the embedded link from the video and they have the spec sheet and show introductory pricing of $899. I can attest they are a good company. My source for solar panels and Iron Ridge racking. Only disclaimer on the is I drive up with enclosed trailer to pick up my orders. They prebuild systems also. Last time I was there they had 6+ classic CC they were prewiring. Sounds like it will work other than having to manually set settings via Dip switches. With today's technology should be all thru network connection. They don't have manuals posted just spec sheet. If the box's in video are full they have or had quite a few of them.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • WaterWheel

FYI-     Received ARC-50 controller I was told was the correct model to control my PT-100.       Hooked up, no power/signal.

Called Magnum Energy.        It turns out that unless you also have a Magnum inverter the only controls for the inverter are the dip switches.        There is no external control panel which can program a stand alone PT-100.       I'm still happy with the PT-100 although I was looking forward to being able to measure it's power production and detune it  bit for my smaller battery bank.

If I had a Mangum inverter  the PT-100 would be a great choice for a controller.

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    The 100 amps is nice but the ~ 200 volts limit seems silly to me.  IMO any new larger end charge controller to the market should be 600 volt.   Granted, I do lots mostly 1000V systems at work, so even 600 volts to me seems annoying ;)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    From what I understand, the available FET/switching transistors at high voltage/relatively high current are expensive and difficult to design for on the DC side. Grid Tied systems where you are already working with 240 VAC output voltage--A much different design requirement.

What can be done vs what can be done in a cost effective method are two different questions.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ethan Brush
    BB. said:
    From what I understand, the available FET/switching transistors at high voltage/relatively high current are expensive and difficult to design for on the DC side. Grid Tied systems where you are already working with 240 VAC output voltage--A much different design requirement.

What can be done vs what can be done in a cost effective method are two different questions.

-Bill
    Yes it is certainly more expensive.  I think there is a fundamental difference in topology too, when the dc-dc ratio goes beyond a certain number, it seems to be more efficient to incorporate a transformer rather than use a DC buck converter.  The schneider 600v is isolated so it uses a transformer, I am not sure about the morningstar but I would guess so. 

Granted I am coming from this from more of an installer's prospective, but I still find it hard to justify a <250v CC and the extra wire and BOS components for a 4-6k or larger system even with free labor. 

• Dave Angelini
    edited January 2016 #19
    The Schneider MPPT-80-600 V can be negative, positive or floating ground. There was no transformer in there when I beta tested it in 2010.

Bill,  like the space industry and just pass the cost on to the taxpayer. Nice to see SpaceX doing the unthinkable, cost effective...

• Ethan Brush
    The Schneider MPPT-80-600 V can be negative, positive or floating ground. There was no transformer in there when I beta tested it in 2010.

If the output is isolated, there must be a transformer in there.  It probably operates at high frequency so i may be small.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited January 2016 #21
    Was that a Steve Martin "let's get small"? A transformer is one way to isolate input from output, there are other ways also!
    The XW cc is a buck down converter.

• mburelle
    mburelle Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    HI, This is an older thread but would like to see if any has more info to communicate on the PT-100? I need to change/upgrade my set-up so I can upsize my array and this controller seems interesting. No much review available and no info whatsoever about how to get /access to data within. We use to simply plug-in our computer into our actual EP Solar controller and access the data through IE web based (offline). This is still quite a new product . What is your experience after couple of years? Hope to hear from you guys.
    3kw solar array (flat roof installed); Midnite Combiner box; Ep Solar 60A charge controller; 48v Battery bank (8x6v Crown 430ah); Magnum PAE4448 charger/inverter w/ME-ARC50 remote; and since November 2017: grid connected as back up instead of generator+ags.
  • Dave Angelini
    Outback has a very similar new controller and has decades of interacting in a complete system. They also have a web portal for monitoring anywhere the system, even controlling it. I looked into Magnum last year and I did not see much of a web portal. If someone with more recent knowledge has better info?

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018 #24
    I've installed a couple (PT-100), very good layout, ez connections (large terminals with enough space to accept large cable) but I'm not done monitoring on any.  They work without a lot of fussing
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mburelle
    Thanks for your info/Feedback guys.  I've contacted Magnum by email and, even though they usually are quite responsive, the answer was relatively ...short. The only way you access the controller data is through the ARC remote. I have that remote and I've noticed a PT100 section for possible readings/set up. Which can be nice.  They also have a web portal but you have to buy their webkit which is a bit annoying.
    3kw solar array (flat roof installed); Midnite Combiner box; Ep Solar 60A charge controller; 48v Battery bank (8x6v Crown 430ah); Magnum PAE4448 charger/inverter w/ME-ARC50 remote; and since November 2017: grid connected as back up instead of generator+ags.
  • mburelle
    Outback has a very similar new controller and has decades of interacting in a complete system. They also have a web portal for monitoring anywhere the system, even controlling it. I looked into Magnum last year and I did not see much of a web portal. If someone with more recent knowledge has better info?
    If I'm not mistaken, they have a proprietary interface which requires you to buy another gizmo to communicate. The Midnite controller are of the open comm variety that you can access, it seems simpler with your computer and ethernet cable (exemple) but never tried it. A lot of info is available on youtube for that.
    I used to want to see everything in case i need to troubleshoot my system, thus my question about data access. My needs has evolved and I'm less data hungry as long as it works. :). I,m very tempted by the Magnum since i want to stay with only one controller for the moment and increase my array to +/-5kw. Which is well within its abilities. I wish there was more complete review of the PT100 though on the web. Aside one or two feloows like Mike here i just couldn't find reviews. If I get it, I'll share my thoughts after a while.
  • Dave Angelini
    Buy a communication interface is just the cost of doing business to most of my clients, as long as it works!
    For me to even consider Magnum they would need to be remote configurable and talk as a system with the inverter being the heart.
    Anything less is just something I pass on when Outback and Schneider do this so easily.