My battery bank size

Options
Terrang
Terrang Registered Users Posts: 12
I purchased some Mono solar panels 6*100W 24V for a total of 600W roughly.
I decided to buy a smaller batteries 4 6V@200ah (to be wired in series to make 24V) instead of a bigger battery.
My question is will these 6 panels be able to charge my 4 batteries?
As a backup i do have a 1kw wind turbine 24v... Now assuming my turbine is completely useless, do i need to go bigger on my array?

My idea was to pit a turbine and solar array against each other and see what kind of power i can generate before making my decision on larger system.
At my house we have daily wind speeds of about 20km-30km. Often during the week we see 35km. In winter we have strong winds usually 20-35km daily.
I know my turbine will be a hit and miss.

Thanks
Terran

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    What is the Vmp and Imp of the solar panels?

And what brand/model/link of solar charge controller?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You have 600W of panel, assuming you put them in series or series parallel and feed them into an MPPT controller. Just paralleling them into a PWM CC will cost you 1/3 of their potential power.

You have the equivalent of 400AH of battery at 12V, so the rule of thumb says that 600W of panel is more than enough.
    You will need to be able to set the CC up to limit current to the battery bank during Bulk to no more than C/8, or 25A.
    You do not need (would not be able to use) more panels unless you set them up in a different orientation to allow for a longer charging time each day.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Terrang
    Options
    Per 100w Panel mono

Vmp and imp is: 17.5V
    amps: 5.14a
    open circuit voltage: 21.6v
    short circuit current:5.55a
    # of cells: 36
    Max system voltage: 1000

As for the charge controller, i am still looking.
    I am not sure if i want to buy a really good one and use it in the future for a bigger grid,
    or buy a cheap one for testing.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    You have 600W of panel, assuming you put them in series or series parallel and feed them into an MPPT controller. Just paralleling them into a PWM CC will cost you 1/3 of their potential power.

Hey 'Dog' you are my favorite Fizzycist, but please don't say this unless you are referring to Grid tied panels, and then please let people know what you're talking about, Even boB and Robin only claim 10-15% gain over correct charging voltage panels on a PWM, and MPPT adds little to nothing in the later Absorption stage, so the shallower you cycle your battery, the less they help....
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    The math works out something like this;

600 watts of panels should produce during normal operation around 450 watts, in a 24 volt system that works out to (450/24=) 18.75 amps or about 9% of your battery capacity of 200 amps at 24 volts. This will be slightly less with a PWM charger.

Of course all things comedown to the loads, if the system has no back up and is in daily use, I would want a larger array, shoot for 13% or even higher if you have multiple cloudy days and your charge controller has the ability to limit it's output. If it's a weekend cabin with minimal loads, you are likely fine...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Terrang
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will maybe expand my array to 1000w. This is a purely off grid system just for the purpose of testing to see what kind of power can be produced in my area.
    The initial load will be very little and i will add things slowly to see what it can handle.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »

Hey 'Dog' you are my favorite Fizzycist, but please don't say this unless you are referring to Grid tied panels, and then please let people know what you're talking about, Even boB and Robin only claim 10-15% gain over correct charging voltage panels on a PWM, and MPPT adds little to nothing in the later Absorption stage, so the shallower you cycle your battery, the less they help....

Well, let me do the math as well as the physics:

1. Vmp of a 12V battery panel is typically 18V. So a 180W panel will produce an Imp of about 10A.
    2. When that goes into a PWM CC in bulk mode to a battery terminal voltage of 12V, the battery is getting about 120W input.
    3. 120W is roughly 2/3 of 180W. That looks like a 1/3 loss to me.
    Now this is assuming 100% efficiency for the MPPT CC, while in reality it will be more like 90%. Each PWM CC, on the other hand, may have a different voltage drop between input and output terminals, but zero current is lost.

It is completely true that when the CC is in a mode in which it is not using the full potential output power of the panels the losses in a PWM CC become far less significant. But getting through Bulk fast allows enough time for Absorb to get the battery close to 100% SOC in a limited amount of daylight.
    And is it equally true that the losses are much larger for grid tie (higher cell count and voltage) panels. But for larger systems keep in mind that the cost per watt of GT panels is around $1, while the cost of 12V battery panels is more like $1.50 per watt.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Photowhit
    Options

Well, let me do the math as well as the physics:

Welllll, You did the math like a newbe and forgot the physics!
    1. Vmp of a 12V battery panel is typically 18V. So a 180W panel will produce an Imp of about 10A.

Yes, but! The reality of the situation is that a 18 volt panel will normally only operate at 16 volts and change, The Kyocera 140 watt panel has a VMP of 17.7 volts, but a NOCT(Normal operating Cell Temperature) VMP of only 16 volts so you lost a chunk of you advantage there!
    2. When that goes into a PWM CC in bulk mode to a battery terminal voltage of 12V
    but charging a 12 volt battery even one discharged to 50% will require presenting a voltage of 12.7 volts of higher. Lost another chunk of your advantage.
    3. 120W is roughly 2/3 of 180W. That looks like a 1/3 loss to me.
    [/QUOTE]Looks like your down to about 25% possible advantage largely in the bulk stage. If you discharge 30% on average You will have this advantage for about 1/2 of the charging time...

Sorry this is pretty quick calcs by me, but you can see, as you said, the real advantage comes with grid tie type panels, but we are talking 100 watt panels which are likely 12 volt nominal...

• BB.
    Options
    MPPT has one practical advantage (in my humble opinion)--High Vmp-array voltage (upwards of 100 VDC for the "typical" ~140-150 VDC max input controller). This allows the owner to use either (or both) much smaller diameter copper wiring and/or placing the solar array farther from the battery bank+charge controller (upwards of 100's of feet is now practical--vs 10's of feet for a 12 volt PWM controller to array distance).

A secondary advantage is that MPPT controllers tend to be newer designs with lots of processing power... Better logging, computer networking, more "functions"/"Options", more sophisticated charging cycles, etc.

The third "advantage" to MPPT is, in my humble opinion, is the MPPT advantage with COLD arrays (typically freezing or colder weather).

However, this really only applies to folks with cold winters--And the advantage becomes a bit less because of the shorter number of hours per day of sun light (few hours of sun during winter, 10-15% more power from a low starting base of power, is not much power).

And it also depends on how people run their systems... As Photowhit says, if you cycle the battery only to 90% or 80% SOC, the battery charging voltage is going to be very near the Absorb set point--And either type of controller is going to be "throwing away power" at that point (PWM or MPPT). Secondary is that MPPT controller + Networking + etc. use more Watts just to run--Their percentage efficiency falls in morning/evenings when you have partial sun (i.e., operating power / harvested power = instantaneous efficiency) the average efficiency of a MPPT will be lower than a "simple" PWM controller.

After years of helping people here--I have stopped even trying to estimate the harvest differences between MPPT and PWM controllers. The efficiency (and panel losses--Vmp depression affecting MPPT--And Vmp-array vs Vbatt issues with PWM), that, on average, the difference is not enough to "care about" for the typical user (warmer/non-winter operation, usually run battery bank charging >~85% SOC, "over paneled" with 10% or greater rate of charge, etc.).

More or less, most people would be hard pressed to "see/measure" a 10% difference between MPPT and PWM output for their installation. And with solar panel being extremely low cost (compare to 10-20 years ago)--If 10% difference is "important", then just add 10% more solar panels and call it a day.

I suggest that people do two different paper designs (at least) for their systems. Do a MPPT and a second PWM design and see what works best for your needs.

In general, below ~400 Watt system, PWM can be less expensive. For systems >~800 Watts, generally a MPPT system will work out better ("cheap" >>140 watt panels with Vmp~30 volts or higher; less money on copper wire; various networking/logging options).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • lkruper
    lkruper Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    MPPT has one practical advantage (in my humble opinion)--High Vmp-array voltage (upwards of 100 VDC for the "typical" ~140-150 VDC max input controller). This allows the owner to use either (or both) much smaller diameter copper wiring and/or placing the solar array farther from the battery bank+charge controller (upwards of 100's of feet is now practical--vs 10's of feet for a 12 volt PWM controller to array distance).

A secondary advantage is that MPPT controllers tend to be newer designs with lots of processing power... Better logging, computer networking, more "functions"/"Options", more sophisticated charging cycles, etc.

The third "advantage" to MPPT is, in my humble opinion, is the MPPT advantage with COLD arrays (typically freezing or colder weather).

However, this really only applies to folks with cold winters--And the advantage becomes a bit less because of the shorter number of hours per day of sun light (few hours of sun during winter, 10-15% more power from a low starting base of power, is not much power).

And it also depends on how people run their systems... As Photowhit says, if you cycle the battery only to 90% or 80% SOC, the battery charging voltage is going to be very near the Absorb set point--And either type of controller is going to be "throwing away power" at that point (PWM or MPPT). Secondary is that MPPT controller + Networking + etc. use more Watts just to run--Their percentage efficiency falls in morning/evenings when you have partial sun (i.e., operating power / harvested power = instantaneous efficiency) the average efficiency of a MPPT will be lower than a "simple" PWM controller.

After years of helping people here--I have stopped even trying to estimate the harvest differences between MPPT and PWM controllers. The efficiency (and panel losses--Vmp depression affecting MPPT--And Vmp-array vs Vbatt issues with PWM), that, on average, the difference is not enough to "care about" for the typical user (warmer/non-winter operation, usually run battery bank charging >~85% SOC, "over paneled" with 10% or greater rate of charge, etc.).

More or less, most people would be hard pressed to "see/measure" a 10% difference between MPPT and PWM output for their installation. And with solar panel being extremely low cost (compare to 10-20 years ago)--If 10% difference is "important", then just add 10% more solar panels and call it a day.

I suggest that people do two different paper designs (at least) for their systems. Do a MPPT and a second PWM design and see what works best for your needs.

In general, below ~400 Watt system, PWM can be less expensive. For systems >~800 Watts, generally a MPPT system will work out better ("cheap" >>140 watt panels with Vmp~30 volts or higher; less money on copper wire; various networking/logging options).

-Bill

A lot of good information here and a bit over my head.... but I will keep at it. One thing I don't understand. I thought that MPPT took the higher voltage and converted it to a lower voltage at a higher amp. So why would this not be true at the different stages of charging including the Absorb point. That being said I do recall reading someone say (somewhere?) that the final stage of an MPPT (float?) was actually PWM.

• BB.
    Options
    lkruper wrote: »
    One thing I don't understand. I thought that MPPT took the higher voltage and converted it to a lower voltage at a higher amp. So why would this not be true at the different stages of charging including the Absorb point. That being said I do recall reading someone say (somewhere?) that the final stage of an MPPT (float?) was actually PWM.

If you are familiar with AC transformers--MPPT controllers (an buck mode switching power supplies) are sort of like variable AC transformers (Variac). The MPPT controller matches the available AC voltage (and current) to the needed load voltage (and current). Efficiently (~95% efficiency).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter

More or less, the governing equation for a MPPT charge controller running greater than 50% of rated output current (efficiency wise) is:
    • Varray * Iarray * 0.95 charger eff = Vbatt * Ibatt
    You can see, that as Varray approaches Vbatt--Then Iarray (array current) has to pretty much equal the Ibattery (battery charging current).

And the equation for a PWM controller is (roughly):
    • Iarray * 0.99 charger eff = Ibatt
    • Vbatt*Ibatt / Vmp-array*Imp-array = overall efficiency of PWM controller
    And for the PWM controller--Varray has almost nothing to do here... Once Varray is greater than Vbatt, then Iarray will flow to charge the battery.

What does all of this mean? The "wild card" here is the operating voltage of the solar array (Vmp of the panel and Vmp-array).

More or less if you have a standard Vmp-array~17.5 volts or so at ~75F cell temperature, that voltage falls to towards 15 volts on a warm summer day (or even lower). And when you charge a lead acid battery, when the battery gets >~80% state of charge, the Vbatt approaches 14.8 volts (for a flooded cell battery at room temperature).

So, for two identical systems (Vmp~18 volt solar panels and Vbatt ~14.8 absorb voltage charging), the "spread" in the voltage between Vmp-array and Vbatt-charging is very small (voltage drop in wiring and through charge controller).

It means that MPPT controller has "very little voltage drop across the controller is small, and there is little "excess voltage" that can be converted into "extra" charging current.

And the "simple" PWM controller is (mostly) acting like a "closed switch" from array to battery bank--So it is wasting very little energy (no switching losses, the computer is much slower/lower power in PWM controller vs MPPT, etc.).

The only time that the two (otherwise "identical") systems would diverge is when the temperature of the solar cells are very cold--That causes Vmp and Vmp-array to rise, and gives the MPPT controller "more head room" to convert the "excess voltage of the solar array" into "higher charging current" for the battery bank.

OR--If you (for example) put two 17.5 volt panels in series and run them to a 12 volt battery bank through a MPPT charge controller, you can use much smaller AWG wiring from the array to the charge controller and can save lots of money on copper wiring costs.

If you where to connect a PWM controller in the above system (two 17.5 volt Vmp panels in series for Varray~35 volts), the PWM controller would be about 50% efficient as the "extra voltage" is completely wasted with a PWM controller.

As the batteries reach full charge, they accept less charging current. Once a MPPT controller feeds less current to the battery (battery is holding 14.8 volts and the current is running from 13% rate of charge down to below 1% rate of charge), then MPPT really does not "help"... Both the MPPT controller and PWM controller are not taking all of the energy available from the solar array.

However, if you have DC loads (inverter, water pump, etc.), that you are running during the daylight hours--The MPPT controller can still give you "more power"--Because even though the battery bank does not need the full charging current, the MPPT controller basically supplies the loads with operational current directly--And the "MPPT" function can still be useful and gather more energy from the solar array vs what a PWM controller can.

Many people will turn on "optional" loads after the battery bank has reached float so they can use the "extra solar panel energy" that would otherwise be lost once the batteries are full... Pumping water to a cistern, irrigation, clothes washing, running an electric cooker of some time, etc.

-Bill

And just to be clear--PWM (pulse width modulation) is use both in PWM charge controllers and MPPT (maximum power point tracking) charge controllers.

The difference is a MPPT controller has a good size inductor as an energy storage/converter section.

A PWM controller just is a "switch" (on/off) from Array to Battery bank. There is no energy storage inductor/coil--And so a PWM controller cannot "efficiently" take high voltage/low current from the array and "efficiently down convert" to the low voltage/high current needed to charge the battery bank (and run other DC loads).
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A screen shot of MPPT aiding Float mode. (Classic 200 charging a NiFe bank) Attachment not found.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,