Magnum 4448pae - which accesories to buy.

Options
animatt
animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
I am offgrid and just purchased a magnum 4448pae. Was not looking to use a magnum inverter, but stumbled onto a deal and thought I would give it a go.

I am having a hard time distinguishing the differences in control panels there looks to be 3 differ ones. Not sure anyone can enlighten me. Thanks.

Comments

• SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options
    Control panels?

If you mean the "ME ARC-50" or the "ME RC-50" then I suggest:

ME ARC-50 "Advanced Remote Control". Many more functions and better programming resolution than the "RC"
    ME BMK "Battery Monitor Kit" Allows you to track battery current and state of charge from the ARC.

If you need an auto start generator:

ME AGS-N "Automatic Generator Start - Network" Allows you to start and stop a generator from the ARC via programming or manually. Beware, use a "2-wire start" generator if possible. Anything else can get quite complicated.

If you meant the breaker panels, I suggest using the Magnum power panels. You can get an extended warranty on the inverter if you use them together.
    You should use the panel with a 175 amp DC breaker and dual 30 amp AC circuits. (MMP 175-30D) The back plate and hood can be nice too but are not essential.

Make plans for your AC power in. Either a 4wire,(black,red, white, green) 10AWG, SO cord from the generator or a 30 amp 2 pole feed from a generator only AC panel.

Get an AC load sub panel for AC breakers for your individual load circuits. Keep in mind that your AC load panel should be a SUB panel. The AC neutral bond should probably be in the MMP.

Don't forget to order your PV breakers too.
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the response. Yeah I was meaning between the arc-50 and rc-50. I was also thinking there was another one but it was just the me-rtr router.not needed as I have no plans on stacking inverters.

So the real question is/was what does arc-50 have that the rc-50 does not.

Currently I have just a standard generator (champion). no electric start. So currently do not need the ags-n. If I ever get an electric start I will probably pickup the ags-n. but that is a big if.

Most of the BOS I have already. I previously bought them from NAWS. About 1.5 years ago. I currently have a cheap inverter(will be for backup later) but batteries and breakers are all in place. All midnite breakers. I have an assortment of sizes some on hand as extras in case I need them. Permanent install is in mexico and things are somewhat harder to source.

I planned to have 2 ac breakers in the main panels. 1 going to inverter from generator, and 1 coming from inverter- then out to sub panel(main panel for house).

3 dc breakers. -1 large connecting to batteries. I can not remember if it is a 250amp or 175amp breaker. It is 4/0 cabling. so either should be fine.
    other 2 dc breakers to 2 morningstar 45 amp mppt controllers.

The breaker panel is an E-panel from midnite. I can not remember exact model.

combiner boxes also midnite.

The 4448pae is an older unit out of warranty (2011 q3). Was never used(manual and cover plates and temp sensor were in sealed bag as well as unit was in perfect conditional physically and worked fine with tests. I got it for what I consider a good deal , and so to me outweighs issues of warranty(or lack of). I was going to be making an inverter purchase in a few months and was seriously eyeing the conext sw 4048. I liked the idea of generator support. But costs considerations made me jump .I guess the 4448pae will be a bit easier to move around then the conext sw 4048.

I have read a good deal on the 4448pae and does not seem to have the issues some other models have. I believe it was niel that had problems with a smaller unit a time back.

Anything else I should be aware of?

Oh you mention hood and back plate. I would imagine that would be out being I have not magnum panel going under inverter?
    just saw a photo of the Full install mpp with inverter on back plate. Does look very slick. Just can't fork over nearly $600 for looks.
    Also hood not sure how important that is. I may install wire mesh over unit to limit insects from getting in.

Thanks for the help.

matthew wright
    I will try to update sig to include system parts