MsView and tristar mppt 45 connection problems with rs232

KE5YD
KE5YD Solar Expert Posts: 32 ✭✭
Up and Running, charging seems to be going ok, RFI problems look Good so far; but cannot get msview and controller to connect. Computer is XP Pro 32 bit with usb and 9 and 23 pin serials ports. Installed Msview 1.5.22 OK; but can't make connection?? I have looked in Device Manager at comports and tried "auto and manual detect" ......but no connection? I believe DB-9 cable to be a straight cable? Have not tried via usb connection......need a converter yet. Any ideas out there??

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get comms just fine with a USB - Serial converter. I've forgotten if the 9 pin cable I use is a straight or reversed pin. (I'd set it up years ago). Auto find in MS View always finds the device. After you have found and connected with it, you must "disconnect" in order to upload new settings, remember the connection settings, you need them to connect the TOOLS - Setup Wizard.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Shooter Magaven
    Shooter Magaven Registered Users Posts: 16
    I use a converter too, no issues except for the stuff Mike95 said
    have yo tried setting your baud rate, parity, etc manually on your comm port?
  • Shooter Magaven
    Shooter Magaven Registered Users Posts: 16
    Also a have 2 identicle cables (db9 serial) and only one works. The other must be a null modem, but it says it nowhere. Be certain it is a straight-thru.
  • jimindenver
    jimindenver Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I have a TS-MPPT-60 and have only been able to connect with a usb to serial adapter. I tried both a straight and cross over cable with no luck. I'm using a netbook with win7 starter.
  • KE5YD
    Hello again.......still haven't been able to connect to controller.......tried usb to 9 pin serial cable...played with comports and tried another computer too. No Go!
    I first thought that maybe I'm Not doing the correct sequence of Things to make everything to shake hands? OR not plugged-in Good, OR the 9 pin receptacle
    might have problems with the attachment to the circuit board? I'm lost! Let's start with the sequence/procedure. Can someone describe the steps in Order?
  • KE5YD
    Another question? I have MSLoad installed and a couple firmware files also available. I have not tried MsLoad yet......do not want to "brick" the controller. Does anyone know what version firmware comes with the tsmppt 45 OR what the latest firmware update file is? First I need to get computer and controller to shake hands?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don;t even try to update firmware till you get the comms figured out. I think I recall the cable is a STRAIGHT 1:1 cable, not a null modem cable.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,