Niel as reested

Options
Hi, Ive just been studying the install guide for the new XW60 MPPT charge controler and it shows and makes a point of wiring the negative output from the controller directly to the -ve battery terminal. No problem, however it goes on to say (Do not connect the battery negative to ground) The wiring diagram does not show the balance of systems like the inverter and disconnect. Which in my case is a SW3024E and Dc250 disconnect in which the negative lead from the battery bank goes to the bonding block in the disconnect which as per Xantrex instructions is bonded to earth thus means that the battery -ve is earthed or grounded. Please explain what is right I already have 2 C40s in the system and they have there -ve output direct to the bonding block, which conects to the negative -ve battery terminal. The manual also states to earth the battery terminal metal box enclosure, which is fine except my enclosure is made of concrete and insulated with high density foam.

rm solar

Online Status: Online

basically the xw60 has a ground fault built in so it does the bonding for you i believe

eyedid

Online Status: Offline

Rm solar is right. The XW MPPT chargers integrate a GFP. Connecting battery negative to ground disables the PV GFP.

nigtomdaw

Online Status: Online

Ok but my -ve battery terminal is effectively grounded in the bonding block on the Xantrex disconnect as you recommend !That was my concern ! Is this a problem ? or is it that this doesnt affect the XW because of its -ve output main current carrying wire direct to the -ve terminal of the battery..
There,,,,,, thats as clear as mud !

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Niel as reested

you should ask xantrex of this for i did not help to design it, i don't have their equipment to say from experience, and i'm not employed by xantrex either. and btw, what is reested?
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Niel as reested

Did you see that the GFP is just a fuse from negative to chassis ? This is
    evidently also what Xantrex does in the GT3.0 I think.
    It works at least and it's pretty cheap, as far as added parts cost to the
    unit goes.

boB