Wind turbine newbie.. few questions.

Options
Terrang
Terrang Registered Users Posts: 12
Hi i am new to this renewable energy systems but i have a few questions.

I am setting up 2 wind turbines. 1 turbine is a 600W 12v turbine connected to a charge controller.
The company i bought the turbine from game me a really good deal on a 1.3 KW 48v turbine.

So my question is: can i have 2 turbines 12V and 48V go into separate controllers connected to 1 battery bank then into an inverter that is equipped for 12v/24v and 48v?
Or is it better just to order a second tubrine that is 12V?

Thanks
Terran

Comments

• Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Options
    Terrang wrote: »
    Hi i am new to this renewable energy systems but i have a few questions.

I am setting up 2 wind turbines. 1 turbine is a 600W 12v turbine connected to a charge controller.
    The company i bought the turbine from game me a really good deal on a 1.3 KW 48v turbine.

So my question is: can i have 2 turbines 12V and 48V go into separate controllers connected to 1 battery bank then into an inverter that is equipped for 12v/24v and 48v?
    Or is it better just to order a second tubrine that is 12V?

Thanks
    Terran

Generally off grid turbines dont use charge controllers in the conventional sense. Some manufacturers supply a crude charge controller that diverts the power to a resistive diversion load when the batteries are full. About the only exception is a midnite classic and you likely need a clipper and diversion load. The classic is the only one that I know of that will allow you to connect different voltage turbines to one battery. What type of "charge controller" do you have?
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately, history shows that nearly all "small" wind turbines are grossly overrated to boost sales, are unreliable, and produce little useable power. Been there, done that. Solar is FAR more reliable in so many ways. If you're going to go wind, just get one for now, to learn what if any usable power you'll get.
    Rarely does the customer live in an area windy enough for success. Just saying.
  • Terrang
    Options

Generally off grid turbines dont use charge controllers in the conventional sense. Some manufacturers supply a crude charge controller that diverts the power to a resistive diversion load when the batteries are full. About the only exception is a midnite classic and you likely need a clipper and diversion load. The classic is the only one that I know of that will allow you to connect different voltage turbines to one battery. What type of "charge controller" do you have?

I have a cheap controller that came with the turbine. But if i buy a second turbine i am going to order a outback controller.
  • Terrang
    Options
    Unfortunately, history shows that nearly all "small" wind turbines are grossly overrated to boost sales, are unreliable, and produce little useable power. Been there, done that. Solar is FAR more reliable in so many ways. If you're going to go wind, just get one for now, to learn what if any usable power you'll get.
    Rarely does the customer live in an area windy enough for success. Just saying.

Thanks for the advice, perhaps your right. Instead of buying a second turbine i could buy 4 100W solar panels and see which performs better.
    On average the wind speeds at my house day to day are between 4 m/s and 10 m/s. And every week theres 2-3 days where the wind is gusting to about 12-15 m/s. But it is good to test.

In canada we are not allowed to use a hybird controller for wind and solar. Its against code. So any ideas on how to wire the wind and solar together allowing them both to charge the battery bank?

OR should i just wire my wind turbine directly into my inverter and just have the solar charge the batteries?
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't see a wind turbine directly wired to an inverter being anything but a pile of problems. I agree with others here that the wind turbines look better on paper than in reality. If you're in Canada (like me) you will eventually be faced with turbine blade icing which tends to destroy the bearings and possibly the vanes. With the now lower prices of solar panels, I'd invest my money there.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am also concerned about using a 12V battery bank. For any decent AC power output you would be better off with 24 or 48V battery bank. In that case to use the 12V turbine you would either have to rewire it or use a step-up CC such as some models from Genasun. (Intended for charging a golf cart battery stack from a 12V system.)

PS: What height tower will you be using (preferably 60 feet or higher with no ground level obstructions within several hundred yards in all directions)?
    Along with a way to get the turbine up and down safely for maintenance and repair.
    Overall I am skeptical that a small wind system will work for you. :cry:
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.