Battery price question

Options
Steven Lake
Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
Okay, battery price question for you guys. I've got another project on my plate that requires me purchasing some golf cart batteries. The problem is if I buy them locally it's highway robbery. But if I buy them online it's cheaper, but the freighting costs required to ship them totally kills the price discount. :( So I'm wondering how I might find a way to take advantage of the low cost of the batteries without getting raked over the coals by the shipping? I mean, when shipping is nearly the cost of another whole battery it sorta defeats the purpose of buying online and in some ways makes it a worse situation monetarily than if I'd just bought them locally and payed the ridiculous prices they're asking. So, is there a way I can get my batteries shipped to me without breaking the bank on shipping, or is that pretty much a hopeless effort short of me finding a local battery dealer with honest prices?

Comments

• soylentgreen
    soylentgreen Solar Expert Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Options
    I've also had this search. Where do you live? CostCo routinely has GC2s for about $90. I've also had luck searching Craigs list and on those ads you'll often see a local distributor, and they will often cut deals.
  • Steven Lake
    Options
    I live in lower Michigan. Around here the best I've been able to find is 75ah golf cart batteries. What makes it worse is, once you factor in shipping for the 220's, they're about the same cost per amp hour. So no savings at all really between the 75's and the 220's. The only advantage is one takes up less space. Haven't found anyone locally that does anything bigger, and certainly no distributors. Of course, if you happen to know of any, I'm game.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Do they not have a Sams Club in Michigan ?? Go to Indiana or Illinois to one, their GC-2's start at $84.
  • doncom
    doncom Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    My local O'Reilly's matched the SAMs club (70 miles away). $84 each. You might try that.
  • Steven Lake
    Options
    GC2's? What's the capacity on them?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. They're 215ah @20hr, so that'll be perfect. Thanks. :D
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And, Steven, one LARGE disadvantage of the 75 A batteries, is that they are SO SMALL. This would mean that you need parallel strings to get meaningful Capacity.
    Parallel strings are generally not a good idea, IMO. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Steven Lake
    Options
    Thanks, Vic. Yeah, I found that Sams has the 215am golf cart batteries, so that'll be perfect for what I need. :D