off grid cabin

Options
wellbuilt
wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
Well , my road is almost clear .
I will start building my cabin soon , I will need to set up some power to my 27' trailer so we could stay on site and work .
I was thinking 6 or 700 watts per day would be Ok for now .
2 6v gc battery for a 12volt system would be give around 650 watts for 2 days +- and work with my small generator and unregulated 30 amp charger for bulk charging.
I have my eye on some used solar panels 230 watt 2years old for 100 bucks each 32 v I think.
I was thinking 2 230 watt panels and a kid CC would also work .
I bought a small 300 watt morning star inverter for some ac power for a led tv, lites , phone chargers battery tool chargers .
I will pump water with generator or 12/24v power .
I will want a dc frig or freezer in the next year or so to keep things cold or to make ice for a ice box ?

would I be better off with 2 12v 155 amp hr for a 310 amphr battery bank ?
or 4 gc 215 amp hr for 430 amphrs The 4 6v battery are a better deal .
should I spring for a classic controller now for 3or 4 230 watt panels ?
The controller / panels could be used in the house system latter but we mite still be staying in the trailer at the same time ?
What should I do?

Then there is all ways the chance of every thing being stolen .

Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    wellbuilt wrote: »
    Well , my road is almost clear .
    I will start building my cabin soon , I will need to set up some power to my 27' trailer so we could stay on site and work . I was thinking 6 or 700 watts per day would be Ok for now .

I am guessing that you intended 600-700 Watt*Hours per day.
    2 6v gc battery for a 12volt system would be give around 650 watts for 2 days +- and work with my small generator and unregulated 30 amp charger for bulk charging.

A pair of golf cart batteries, for two days with 50% maximum discharge (no sun).
    • 12 volts * 220 AH * 0.85 AC inverter eff * 1/2 days storage * 0.50 max discharge = 561 Watt*Hours of 120 VAC power per day
    • 12 volts * 220 AH * 1/2 days storage * 0.50 max discharge = 660 Watt*Hours of 12 VDC power per day
    • 12 volts * 220 AH * 1/8 hour discharge * 0.85 AC inverter = 281 Watt max continuous battery power with 8 hour discharge rate
    I have my eye on some used solar panels 230 watt 2years old for 100 bucks each 32 v I think.
    I was thinking 2 230 watt panels and a kid CC would also work .
    • 2*230 Watt panels * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1/14.5 volts charging = 24.4 Amps (typical maximum current from array--good match for 220 AH battery bank)
    • 2*230 Watt panels * 0.52 system eff * 4.0 hours per day (~9 months a year in relatively sunny climates) = 957 Watt*Hours per average day minimum energy
    I bought a small 300 watt morning star inverter for some ac power for a led tv, lites , phone chargers battery tool chargers .

It looks like you have a very well balanced system design.
    I will pump water with generator or 12/24v power .
    I will want a dc frig or freezer in the next year or so to keep things cold or to make ice for a ice box ?

Probably looking at 300 Watt*Hours per day for any small (and efficient) electric refrigerator. This is a nice discussion here:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/foru...r-refrigerator
    would I be better off with 2 12v 155 amp hr for a 310 amphr battery bank ?
    or 4 gc 215 amp hr for 430 amphrs The 4 6v battery are a better deal .
    should I spring for a classic controller now for 3or 4 230 watt panels ?

I personally prefer 2x 6 volt batteries over a single 12 volt battery (all else being equal). You can measure the voltage of series parallel 6 volt batteries in a 12 volt bank. You cannot measure (in most 12 batteries) when tied together in 12 volt parallel connections. You can use Specific Gravity (if flooded cell) and a DC Current Clamp Meter to at least monitor charging/discharging current to ensure all is working OK.

Roughly.. a 1,000 WH per day system will supply a cabin (lights, laptop, small water pressure pump, etc.).

3,300 WH per day will power a full cabin + full size Energy Star Refrigerator + well pump + clothes washing machine (very energy efficient home).

So--It is your choice. If theft is a problem--Stay small. In a year or two after construction is done and you have lived a while (using small system for night loads, use smallish genset for daytime loads)--You will have a better idea of what is a comfortable power usage for you. Plus you can always keep the small system on the trailer or RV for future use.
    The controller / panels could be used in the house system latter but we mite still be staying in the trailer at the same time ?
    What should I do?

Then there is all ways the chance of every thing being stolen... Then keep your costs low for now. The equipment you are looking at/buying now will have good use in the future (RV/guest cabin use). Or possibly sell later.

If you go with a 3.3 kWH per day system, you are really looking at a much larger system 24 (or even 48 volts)--Very difficult to "cost effectively grow" a small system into a large system.

For building (weekend/season occupation of less than ~9 months a year)... Look at a couple gensets (a small Honda eu2000i or equivalent inverter-generator; plus a large 3.5 to 5kW or so to run your tools during the day). Ice box or propane fridge for food.

When you live there full time (9 months or more), then powering mainly from solar starts to make much more economic sense.

My guesses anyway.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    Hi bb thanks for the speedy reply .
    The frig link got the wheels turning , thanks .

What do you think about charging 4 gc230 battery with the kid controller and 2 230watt panels, or adding a third panel for a total of 690 watts on the kid 30 amp cc .
    Maybe a different CC ? Morningstar mppt 45?
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • BB.
    Options
    How much power/battery bank do you want? How much daily load do you need to supply?

The maximum size 12 volt battery bank that is "practical" (in my humble opinion) is around 400-800 AH (at 20 hour rate). When the battery bank gets much larger than that range, looking at the next higher voltage is a good idea... Basically, 800 AH battery needs around 80 to 100 Amps to charge properly (assuming daily/full time living).

The 6 volt batteries are handy... Put 2 series x 2 parallel for a 440 AH @ 12 volt bank, or 4x series for a 220 @ 24 volt bank (same energy storage, and 1/2 the current and ~1/4 the size of copper wire). Also, for charge controllers--The higher end models can charge at 12/24/48 volts, every time you go up 2x in voltage, you can connect a 2x larger solar array with the same controller (i.e., 30 amps @ 12 volts vs 24 volts vs 48 volts).

For a small system (1,000 Watt*Hours / 300 Watt peak average loads), a 12 volt system + MorningStar 300 Watt TSW inverter is pretty hard to beat.

When your needs get much bigger, you are really looking at a 1,200-1,500 Watt minimum inverter and (ideally) a minimum 24 volt battery bank.

Native 24 volt loads are sort of rare, and expensive (marine/truck type appliances). But if you go with 120 VAC, a TSW inverter can power most of your needs pretty nicely. There are 24 VDC pressure pumps that are not too expensive--So you can still find some reasonable DC Direct loads if needed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    Hi bill ,
    I was just thinking that I would be a little close to my max power needs with no head room and no place to go .
    I could run the generator if I need more power but it would be good to have some extra capacity .

The GC battery are 80 bucks each 1 more panel is $ 100.
    If I could get a bit more power with out any problems I would do it .
    Even if I need a larger controller or a second kid .

I guess you are saying that 4 6v gc230 ah 460 @ 12volt battery will need to charge @ 46 amps 12 volt or a bit more .
    so the 2 230 watt panels on the 30 amp CC will not do the job .

• jason714n
    jason714n Registered Users Posts: 10
    Options
    Yes this is the ball park number I'm planning. Since I know it's very difficult to expand battery bank I will plan to have a second setup. So instead of getting 2 1600 amphour battery. How many 6 volts golf carts battery do I need that you are suggesting? And what amp holding capacity? Will the cost be any less?
  • BB.
    Options
    Wellbuilt,

I have moved Jason's So. Cal Homestead posts and replies to his own thread. Should be a bit less confusing for everyone.
    Hi bill ,
    I was just thinking that I would be a little close to my max power needs with no head room and no place to go .
    I could run the generator if I need more power but it would be good to have some extra capacity .

A lots of these disisions really are based on your personal choices and lifestyle you want to live.

For example, choosing the size of battery bank (AH*Voltage = Watt*Hour) capacity.

The rule of thumb we typically use for standard lead acid flooded cell batteries is around 1-3 days of storage and 50% maximum discharge (in normal usage). The optimum seems to be about 2 days of "no sun" and 50% maximum discharge.

The reason this works out so well is that Lead Acid have a limited amount of current they can output (and accept during charging). 2 days and 50% (4x daily load) seems to give a battery bank that can output "enough" power to start a well pump, and run tools/lights/etc. relatively well (i.e., matching AC inverter to battery bank capabilities), plus "storage" for bad weather.

But, you could just as easily choose 1 day of storage and 50% maximum discharge (2x daily load)--It will work fine for smaller load (1/2 the surge current and "heavy draws"). And you would use the genset more during bad weather.

Things that suggest a "smaller" battery bank capacity:
    • Weekend/seasonal use (not there during winter/bad weather)
    • No well pump/surging loads... Just lights, laptop computer, small water pump
    • no room for large battery bank (small cabin, RV with limited weight capacity)
    • Keep expenses low and don't leave too much for thieves to take when locked up.
    Things that suggest a larger battery bank:
    • Full time living (9+ months a year)
    • Mix of heavy surge loads (well pump, clothes washer) and 24x7 loads (full size refrigerator)
    • Need to run power during bad weather
    • Don't want too much generator run time (noise, cost/transportation of fuel)
    Things that suggest higher rate of charge (larger solar array, AC backup charger):
    • Larger battery bank, more solar panels (5% to 13% rate of charge for solar, ~10-20%+ for genset/utility charging)
    • More daytime loads (i.e., running irrigation pump, computer, washer, during day, "steals" from solar charging current)
    • Batteries are expensive and limited life. Solar panels are relatively "cheap"
    • Bit/tall cased batteries "like" 10%+ rate of charge
    • Quicker recharging of battery bank after a few days of poor weather/heavy power consumption
    • 5% can be OK for weekend/seasonal charging. 10%+ good for full time cabin use (less load/battery management by owner)
    The GC battery are 80 bucks each 1 more panel is $ 100.
    If I could get a bit more power with out any problems I would do it .
    Even if I need a larger controller or a second kid .

Higher voltage battery bank--More power through Charge Controller (rules below are for MPPT type controller).
    • 30 amp charge controller * 14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings = 565 Watt array "cost effective maximum"
    • 30 amp charge controller * 29.0 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings = 1,130 Watt array cost effective maximum"
    So, if you choose 10%+ rate of charge for a 220 AH battery @ 6 volts (golf cart)... You could charge 2 in series with a 565 Watt array @ 12 volt bank or 4x in series @ 24 volt with an 1,130 Watt array.

Saves you a "larger" or several smaller charge controllers in parallel by going with a higher voltage battery bank.
    I guess you are saying that 4 6v gc230 ah 460 @ 12volt battery will need to charge @ 46 amps 12 volt or a bit more .
    so the 2 230 watt panels on the 30 amp CC will not do the job .

It all goes back to designing a "balanced" system (loads drive battery bank, battery bank drives solar array, loads also drive solar array+hours of sun per day).

if you decide that you want a 4x golf cart battery bank, you have the choice of 2x2 for 440 AH @ 12 volts or 4x1 for 220 AH @ 24 volts. Will save you money on charge controller(s), but you will have to look closely at what 12 and 24 volt AC inverters are out there that will meet your needs. Typically higher voltage inverters ( 12/24/48 ) have a larger "minimum size" (i.e., it is hard to find a 300 Watt 24 or 48 VDC input inverter). But the larger inverters do have more features and options (and need a larger battery bank + solar array to run them).

I calculated a suggested "maximum array" size for a 30 Amp MPPT charge controller... The suggested array size based on 5-13% rate of charge for 4x golf cart batteries would look like:
    • 4x 220 AH * 7.25 volts charging * 1/0.77 rate of charge * 0.05 rate of charge = 414 Watt array minimum
    • 4x 220 AH * 7.25 volts charging * 1/0.77 rate of charge * 0.10 rate of charge = 829 Watt array nominal
    • 4x 220 AH * 7.25 volts charging * 1/0.77 rate of charge * 0.13 rate of charge = 1,077 Watt array "maximum cost effective"
    And if you use a 30 Amp charge controller, you cannot get to a 10% rate of charge. You would need a minimum MPPT charge controller rating of (for a 12 volt battery bank):
    • 829 Watt array * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1/14.5 volts charging = 44 Amps minimum rated MPPT charge controller for a 10% rate of charge on a 12 volt bank
    So--Here we are bouncing lots of numbers around... You sort of need to decide if you are somebody that likes to monitor your system daily--And a 5% rate of charge with smaller battery bank is "worth the extra labor" to you.

Or, you would like more of flip a switch and don't stress out type of system... A larger battery bank and higher rate of charge. If you have others that will be living there (spouse, kids, guests, etc.)--Usually the "lower stress" system is appreciated (as well as the ability to run the occasional hair drier, coffee maker, etc.).

Using a nominal set of design rules (2 days storage, 50% max discharge, 10% rate of charge, etc.) and then checking the cost of such a system (and its capability) will save some pencil work for you. Either the system is too expensive or does not meet all of your needs, then you can up size/down size as needed.

I forgot where your system will be installed... Hours of sun per day (by season) will be important too.

-Bill
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    Great post bill , Thanks for your time .

Im in NY in the Catskills @ 3200 feet .
    Im going to go with a 12volt system my trailer runs on 12 volt .
    I think 4 gc 215 battery and 4 230 watt panels .
    What model charge controller do you like . ?
    John
  • BB.
    Options
    If you go with a MPPT type charge controller, the minimum size would be:

4x 230 Watt * 1/14.5 volt charging * 0.77 panel+controller derating = 49 amps minimum

You could go as low as 45 amps (over paneling will not hurt a "good" MPPT charge controller--as long as you respect the maximum Vpanel operating voltage).

But, in reality, you are looking at 60 amp controllers. A 45 amp controller would work, but you lose ~4 amps or ~60 watts from your array in the middle of a cool/clear day.

Midnite, Outback, MorningStar, and Schneider/Xantrex all offer MPPT controllers that have a lot of users.

Personally, I like controllers without fans (bigger heat sinks). In an RV, the fan noise may be an issue (plus moving dust/etc. through the controller). MorningStar and Schneider have fanless units.

I cannot really recommend any controller--I do not use off grid power and I am not in the solar business. I would suggest looking at the pros and cons of each unit and call NAWS (and hopefully others here) can make their recommendations.

Note that for some vendors, they make a lot of money on "extras and options". Remote Battery Temperature sensor (I do recommend those), LCD displays, computer/network interfaces, etc. all add up quickly.

http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/chco.html

If your panels are Vmp~30 volts, you have to go with MPPT type charge controllers. If your panels are Vmp~18 volts, a PWM controller can work OK for you too (short cable run from array to charge controller, PWM controllers have less "heat issues" and tend to be smaller, and cheaper).

But there are few (if any) Vmp~18 volt 230 Watt solar panels, so that option is sort of out.

You can also install a pair of charge controllers (like a pair of Midnite KIds:

MidNite Solar The Kid Charge Controllers and Accessories

Won't save you any money, but they do not use fans (as far as I know)--A big plus in my book. You can also hook them up with a Whiz Bang Jr and a 50mv/500A shunt to monitor your battery state of charge (I assume that two kids + 1 shunt would work together correctly--But please confirm--I do not know for sure).

-Bill
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    Hi Bill , Ive been working with no time for the net .
    Well since someone use my trailer for target practice over the winter I wound up going on the cheep side with my power system for now .
    I have 2 gc 230 ah battery from samscub a tracer mppt 40 amp cc a morning star 300watt inverter 1 70 watt and 1 140 watt 12volt solar panel that I had laying around..

The panels are wire in parallel ( Is this OK)

and they give me almost 10amps in the sun 1.5 amps on a cloudy day .
    The battery reads 12.5 to 12.6 before sun up after using power all night lights, tv , pumping water , radio. the cc starts to blink float 13.6volts 1.5 amps buy1030 am most mornings .

Is 13.6 volts at 1.5amp to high for float ?

Im off grid 3 days a week now ? We are cutting trees and fishing mostly .
    Next week I get permits to build . thanks for the help john.

• BB.
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that your place has been used for target practice (too many stupid people out there these days).

Yes, you can put your two solar panels in parallel--They should have Vmp~17.5 volts or so... If they have way different voltages, that could be an issue (less power from your MPPT controller).

13.6 volts for float is fine (if you have find a manual/settings for your battery, you can confirm or adjust as needed).

For fulling recharging your battery bank, if flooded cell you want around 14.5 to 14.8 volts held for ~2 hours (if batteries are not discharged too much) or 4-6 hours if batteries are well discharged.

So, take a good DMM and see what your battery charger is doing for "bulk" charge voltage (i.e., 14.5 volts or so) and how long is holds that voltage.

A hydrometer is a great tool for understanding how well your batteries are charging. A good glass hydrometer is nice... Or you can get one of these newfangled devices (very nice). Make sure you have distilled water so you can rinse out the hydrometer after you are done (they will get sticky over time if you don't clean them... And glass hydrometers are very easy to break).

mnhydrometer-web.jpg [h=2]MidNite Solar Hydrovolt Battery Hydrometer[/h] -Bill
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    Ive only had the solar panels up and running for 2 weeks but the battery was a 12.5 volt when I bought them and I charged the full when I brought them home, 12.7 sitting for a few days .
    The acid looked full and ive been wanting to get a hydrometer .
    The cc floats at 13.6 and charges at 14.6 most of the time in full sun .
    If I start using power when in float the 13.6 stays the same and the amps will run up to 9.5+-
    Im almost always in float 13.6 1.5 to 4 amps I think the battery is full or above 90%.
    I will run them down this weekend ( going fishing )
    The only way to change the setting is to fool with the temp sensor on the unit it self .
    The battery , cc inverter are in a locker in the bathroom the battery are in a box with a 3" inlet on the bottom and a 3" out let on top with 1"+ air space all around ( no fan )
    The door has some vents in it . nothing gets even warm .
    The battery being vented to the outside and the CC being in side temp the controller could be off .
    I can adjust the temp setting to trick the controler and move the charging voltage up and down .
    should I try this ? The CC is on default setting now .
    I am in a 26' air stream trailer for now what should I do for grounding
    The solar panels are on a deck roof in front of the trailer
    I have green 10 gage wire run to the frame of the trailer
    I grounded the CC case , the morning star inverter from the neg lead as in the manual , solar panels from the frame to a bus bar to a fat 12vold ground and a solid 8 gage ac ground .
    is this ok ? Thank bill John

/

• BB.
    Options
    Ive only had the solar panels up and running for 2 weeks but the battery was a 12.5 volt when I bought them and I charged the full when I brought them home, 12.7 sitting for a few days .
    The acid looked full and ive been wanting to get a hydrometer .
    The cc floats at 13.6 and charges at 14.6 most of the time in full sun .
    If I start using power when in float the 13.6 stays the same and the amps will run up to 9.5+-
    Im almost always in float 13.6 1.5 to 4 amps I think the battery is full or above 90%.

Sounds good. Besides logging specific gravity once in a while--Watch your distilled water usage... If you have to refill the cells every 1-2 months or so (for standard flooded cell batteries)--Charging sounds good.

If you have to refill every month or less, dial back the charging voltage (and absorb timer, if it has one) a bit.

If you don't have to refill after 6+ months, crank up the charging voltage a bit.
    I will run them down this weekend ( going fishing )
    The only way to change the setting is to fool with the temp sensor on the unit it self .
    The battery , cc inverter are in a locker in the bathroom the battery are in a box with a 3" inlet on the bottom and a 3" out let on top with 1"+ air space all around ( no fan )
    The door has some vents in it . nothing gets even warm .
    The battery being vented to the outside and the CC being in side temp the controller could be off .
    I can adjust the temp setting to trick the controller and move the charging voltage up and down .
    should I try this ? The CC is on default setting now .

If you don't have one yet, get a remote battery temperature sensor and put it on one of the batteries (under a hollowed out Styrofoam block helps with accurate measurements). Mucking with manual offsets, I believe, detracts from the the whole automation/precision measurement tools that are designed into the controllers.

As above, monitor the battery bank and see if you need to "nudge" the absorb voltage one way or another.
    I am in a 26' air stream trailer for now what should I do for grounding
    The solar panels are on a deck roof in front of the trailer
    I have green 10 gage wire run to the frame of the trailer
    I grounded the CC case , the morning star inverter from the neg lead as in the manual , solar panels from the frame to a bus bar to a fat 12vold ground and a solid 8 gage ac ground .
    is this ok ? Thank bill

John

Sounds good John... The grounding wire(s) are primarily there to provide a path back to the power source (DC Battery bank, AC inverter, etc.) so that if there is a worst case short circuit (AC or DC hot to metal sink/RV frame/etc.)--That the wire is heavy enough to pop the upstream breaker/fuse.

Another reason for the grounds are to keep lightning "outside" of the living area. So, I would recommend running the outside ground wire down the outside of the RV to the frame ground underneath.

If the RV is parked for long periods of time/in a lightning prone area, you should think about running a 6 AWG or heavier ground wire from the frame bond to a rod/copper plate buried in the earth. Just in case...

-Bill
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    Hi bill , im back from the trailer .
    I spent 4 days there , it was cold 32/ 36o 2 nights with the wind blowing all night .
    I tried to burn some power , I ran the heat 2 day strait pumped water , left some lights on, TV /radio , charged my cell phone ,
    and 530 am before sun up, my battery read 12.5 with out the heater blower running with just some lights on .
    @ 7am with sun hitting the panels I was seeing 14.7 volts and 7.9 amps, when I came in from fishing at 12noon I was at 13.6 volts 1 / 1.5 amps floating and if I use some extra power pump water , turn on all the lite fans the volt run up to 14.4 and 9.5 amps .
    It seems like its working real good , Water is still full for the last 3 weeks .

I tried my battery charge/ generator combo to day at 6am its a car charger farm and ranch 10 to 30 amp 12 volt charger unregulated and set at 30amps.
    It jump to 22amp on the charger and over 10 min it dropped to 12 amp and another 10min I was at 8/9 amps total run time was 20 /30 min
    Im thinking im 90% full at 8/9 amps charge output , the funny thing is the volts ran up to 15/ 15.1 ( seems high) , as the amps dropped the volts went up ?
    I am just planning to run the gen/ charger for 1 /1.5 hours at a time if needed to bulk the battery before the sun comes out , is this OK .
    Will I need to add more panels in the fall oct, nov, dec The panels I have now I had just laying around . John