Testing batteries with an hydrometer.

Johann
Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
I read somewhere to test batteries with an hydrometer. How is it done and what would I watch out for and what does the resulting test mean.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Try searching for

"trojan hydrometer battery testing"

On google. You can find lots of documentation and even some videos.

-Bill (using my phone) B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Johann
    Thank you BB
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Johann,

Also, Surrette Battery has some good information on battery maintenance on their site, under " Solutions ".

Here is their information on measuring SG of Flooded batteries:
    http://support.rollsbattery.com/support/solutions/articles/4347-measuring-specific-gravity

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Johann
    Those recommended links where very informative.

Could you folks recommend where to buy a hydrometer and what kind of hydrometer to buy.

Well, I guess checking the charge with an hydrometer is more exact?
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    The Hydrovolt is the best hydrometer I have ever used in over 50 years of dealing with FLA batteries of all kinds.

Keep a jug of distilled water handy so you can rinse thoroughly after use.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M