Inverter to CC not battery?

Options
draines
draines Registered Users Posts: 17
I've got a small system which powers only a few LED (10w) bulbs on a single battery through a 300w inverter, using 1 - 200w panel into a Sunsaver MPPT15. My questions is about the wiring. I know the recommendation is always wire inverter directly to the battery, but I would like to see the Log data for usage of system with MSView software. Currently with the inverter I can't see any "load" data since it doesn't go through the CC, where it would be logged.
If I'm only pulling 10w through the inverter, is it OK to wire the inverter to the CC DC terminals?
The other option is just using my kil-a-watt meter to check the gross numbers on the system, but I'd rather have the CC data plotted.
12v system, and only one lamp operates at a time.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options
    CC goes to the battery bank not the Inverter.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    The Sunsaver does have "load" terminals, but they are only rated to 15 amps--So as long as the inverter does not draw more than that amount of current (including starting surge current), it will work.

I do not know the software to know if it can log load terminal current.

One quick and dirty way to measure your loads is to get a DC AH/WH meter and connect it to the inverter:

http://www.rc-electronics-usa.com/electrical-test-equipment.html

And there are getting to be more and more inexpensive data logging systems... You should be able to find something that can do stand a lone/networked DC current logging (shunt + milliVolt meter/logging)..

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • draines
    draines Registered Users Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks. I will definitely be well below the 15A. The MSView does track loads, which is why I have interest in this wiring.
    Do they make any of these types of on-line meters that will datalog?
    Thanks again!